cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chili Revisited

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Still looking for a good chili recipe. If use kidney beans, please don't post. I just don't like them.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL
24 REPLIES 24

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
When ever I make chili beans this is the recipe I use. It never fails and Ive won plenty of chili bean cook offs with this. It is not for the lazy cook though. And I will say, Ive never made it in my trailer.

2 # small dried red beans, checked for rocks and soaked
2# lean ground beef browned
3-1/2 lean, clean (no grisle) beef, 1/2''-3/4'' cubes, browned. I use either Top Round or Top Sirloin
1 Ham hock.
2 large onions, chopped fine and carmelized in the pan you browned the beef in.
2 large onions, rough chopped, say 3/8'' to 1/2''
2 Bell pepper, rough chopped , same.
1 head garlic, smashed, chopped, some how fairly fine
1 large japeleno, gutted and chopped fine
1 small serano, not gutted, finely chopped (minced), don't touch your eyes.
3 ea. 28oz cans, diced tomato
2 ea. 15 oz cans, tomato sauce
4 tblspn chili powder
3 tblspn cumin
3 tblspn paprika
1 tblspn corriander
4 tblspn salt
1 tspn pepper
1 tblspn garlic powder
1 tsspn cayanne.

So basically, brown all the beef, ground and cubed, separately ofcourse. Not really looking for fully cooked, but nice and brown.
Then brown the finely chopped onions pretty well in the same skillet you browned the beef in. Adds flavorโ€ฆ..I think.
I take the beans and the water they are soaking in and the ham hock and bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour.
Then, throw everything in and let it simmer 'till the beans are edible.

I never have to adjust seasoning with this recipe and I think it is the best chili with beans I've had.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budster wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:
Have you tried Budsters chili?

No, do you mean Bunsters?

Once you have mine you never forget it ~lol~ Thanks for remembering 96!

I do believe 96 meant mine, it is quite hot, not for everyone. My recipe below is basic, add subtract to your liking, the 5 different spices I use are HOT

My recipe:

5 lbs Stew meat (cut into bite size pieces)
5 lbs onions (chopped fine)
5 heads of garlic (chopped fine) YES 5 HEADS
5 small cans of skinless tomatoes with the seeds removed
5 different kinds of ground chilies (or more) plus ground cumin

Brown meat on all sides to seal in juices. Carmalize onions, add garlic just as the onions turn light golden, cook till golden. Add meat, onions, garlic, tomatoes, 1/4 of the spices to a pressure cooker (size amount to match size of cooker it takes me four cooker loads for this recipe). Pressure cook for at least 45 mins. Transfer to a crock pot, add remaining spices, cook on low for 24 hours stiring every hour or so and removing any floating fat.

I had a bowl of Budster's chili back in 2004 and I can still feel the burn!:B
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my recipe for West Texas chili that we make at home. Real Texas Red chili is a very complex collection of 14 spices - I'm talking competition chili here. I would give you my recipe, but it 1) would require you buy certain spices from a unique supplier, and 2) its a secret. I finished in the top 20 percent in the International Chili Championship in 2014, and was the Pennsylvania State champion that same year.

3 large sweet peppers, one each red, orange, yellow
5 strips bacon, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, stemmed and minced
2 lbs beef stew meat, half inch cubes
1/2 cup chili powder blend
4 cups beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 16 ounce cans of beans, pinto and kidney
1 14 ounce jar nopalitos rinsed, drained, and chopped

Over a hot gas grill or under a preheated electric broiler, roast the sweet peppers until the peels are evenly charred. Place in a covered bowl and steam until they are cool. Rub away the burned peel, stem, core, and coarsely chop the flesh.

In a 5 quart Dutch oven combine the bacon and olive oil. Cook until the bacon is crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain.

Add the onions, garlic, and jalapenos to the oil and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring often, until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the beef broth, red wine, and tomatoes. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Partially cover, lower heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Uncover the chili and cook, stirring often, another 30 to 40 minutes.

Stir in the roasted sweet peppers, beans, nopalitos, and bacon and cook another 5 minutes.

This can be made a day in advance and refrigerated. Warm up slowly over low heat. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
4 lbs of ground beef browned with already sauteed onions in real butter.
drain off the grease, then add any type of can tomatoes you like, I saw fire roasted in the can these are good with garlic, Rotel(any flavor), etc.
THEN Bushes magic chili beans in the can.
each can say 3-4 servings so I cut that in half and figure one can per 2 people. if I am feeding my family we use the above with 5-6 cans of beans and it fills the Crockpot up to the lid. The extra meat makes it nice and meaty the only way to eat it is lots of meat and juice. this recipe will fix up in around 1/2 hour, but the longer you let it cook in a crock pot the juicer it will be and the flavor will soak in.
UMMM good.
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

jwilson66
Explorer
Explorer
No beans whatsoever in my chili...use either a crockpot or dutchoven.

2 lbs burger
2 lbs stew meat
1 lg jar Medium spiced salsa
1 lg onion
1 lg bell pepper (red or orange)
2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chilis
36 oz (approx.) tomato juice (to meet your desired thickness)
6 TBS chili powder (I use 4 mild, 2 hot but whatever your spice desires are)
3 TBS cumin

And the SECRET INGREDIENT: left-over smoked brisket! When I smoke a brisket, we always have left-overs. I vac seal it and freeze it specifically for using in chili. This gives even more meat and a great smokey flavor...won me a couple of local competitions!

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Green Pepper Chili
2 lbs hamburger or ground turkey, browned with diced onion
Small amount of diced celery
14 oz can crushed tomatoes (or equal amt of V8)
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup ketchup
2 green peppers, diced
1/4 tsp. each: black pepper, paprika, cumin
2 Tbls brown sugar
1 Tbls soy sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 cans beef broth (14 oz each) or 3 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 3 cups boiling water (I use my own homemade broth which I keep in the freezer)
Combine all in crockpot and let simmer.
About an hour before serving, add 2 cups COOKED rice. don't use uncooked or it will absorb all the liquid

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I don't need a pressure cooker, I don't think we own one anymore.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Lately I have been making quick (easy) chilli (3 kids=no time)

1 can fire roasted tomato (usually near stewed tomatos in store)
1 large jar of your favorite chunky salsa
Chilli powder to taste
Garlic powder or fresh garlic (depending on what is on hand) to taste
Cumin to taste
Onion powder to taste
Salt to taste
Sugar or brown sugar to taste if you like
1/2 to 1 bag vegetarian burger crumbles
1/2 tsp to 1 tbsp cocoa powder
As many or few beans as you like
I like to use kidney, black, and garbonzo together. Pre-seasoned cans of chilli beans work very well
Heat it up and enjoy with or without sharp cheddar!
I usually buy thomas' toast r cakes to go with the whole "quick/easy" idea, otherwise make cornbread.
This is great quick chilli, but i prefer fresh onions, peppers, garlic, etc cooked slowly in a crock pot.

Great, now i am hungry for some chilli
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:

What kinds of chiles do you use?
I can readily get Mulato, ancho and pasilla peppers as well as Anaheim but anything else is a search @ this part of the East coast. Still your ingredient list sounds like the search would be worthy. Don't have a pressure cooker but am sure I can get around that.

I use whatever I can find in the store at the time. You need to experiment for your own taste. I use the pressure cooker to speed things up. These days (since I am retired) I use just the crock pot (other than a cast iron skillet for browning the meat) for all the cooking. I cook about 8 hours, refrigerate for a couple of days before serving, warm it up (adding some cayenne for instant heat) then serve. Have fun with your chili :B
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Budster wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:

I do believe 96 meant mine, it is quite hot, not for everyone. My recipe below is basic, add subtract to your liking, the 5 different spices I use are HOT

My recipe:

Brown meat on all sides to seal in juices. Carmalize onions, add garlic just as the onions turn light golden, cook till golden. Add meat, onions, garlic, tomatoes, 1/4 of the spices to a pressure cooker (size amount to match size of cooker it takes me four cooker loads for this recipe). Pressure cook for at least 45 mins. Transfer to a crock pot, add remaining spices, cook on low for 24 hours stiring every hour or so and removing any floating fat.

What kinds of chiles do you use?
I can readily get Mulato, ancho and pasilla peppers as well as Anaheim but anything else is a search @ this part of the East coast. Still your ingredient list sounds like the search would be worthy. Don't have a pressure cooker but am sure I can get around that.

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:

My recipe:

ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:

2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Just made some this evening:

1 - lb ground pork
1 onion - diced
1 green pepper - diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
Garlic minced
2 - 15 oz can tomatoes - diced
16 oz Tomato sauce
1 - 15 oz can black beans - rinsed
1 - 15 oz can pork & beans - drained
Salt
Pepper
Chili powder
Cumin
Water as needed

I have used about every type bean out there(fresh & dry), I do like to add some black beans if possible as I love the flavor they impart. I sometimes add sugar, and other spices(thyme, oregano, italian blend, basil,...), if I feel like it.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie