cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any hints for grilling in moderate cold?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Right now it's 8 F (-13 C) which isn't extreme cold, but it is a bit unpleasant

Would like to do some St Louis style ribs for NYE tomorrow... I know I won't be able to smoke them, my simple weber kettle looses heat pretty bad under 40F, no way I could do a low and slow with it.

Thinking a hot indirect blast for an hour our so, to get some smoke on em, then wrap in foil and finish in the oven for a few hours.

Tried lighting a chimney of coals and after the Weber starting cube went out, the coals that were smoldering just gave up and the chimney went out.

I'm worried that even if I get a chimney lit the coals will just go out, and certainly won't light the wood chunks to get the smoke going.

Any suggestions?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
4 REPLIES 4

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a place out of the wind. Just build a little bigger fire than usual. Don't use aluminum foil until you are done. Foil reflects most of the radiant heat from the fire.

I cook 55 tri-tips or so each Feb outside with my service club. We use a lot of propane and just turn up the heat. A thermometer is a great idea. We are required to use one by the Health Dept.

I have been cooking with Dutch Ovens in winter for 40 years. Just use more fire.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
You are in a RV. Drive to someplace warm! (smiley face thing here!)

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My smoker runs a little cooler in lousy weather - so when I pull the ribs to put them in foil they go into the oven rather than back in the smoker and they stay in the oven a bit longer. It's more comfortable for me and I can control the temp easier - ribs seem to come out fine.
Kevin

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently cook in cold temps. Cold temps shouldn't prevent your charcoal from lighting. I normally use newspaper to start my chimney. I'm not familiar with the the Weber cubes. Did it burn completely? Sometimes fire starters rely on evaporating fuel to burn and in very cold weather they need a good hot start to get them giving off fuel and burning properly. You will burn a lot more charcoal to maintain heat, once you get going. But, your idea of a couple hours of smoking then wrapping and going in the oven to complete the cook will work.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft