cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Opinion -- Washer/Dryer?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Soliciting opinions about whether or not it's worth having a combo clothes washer/dryer in an RV.

Or is it more valuable to you to have that little bit more storage space?
63 REPLIES 63

MrWizard
Forgot to say
The loads are quite small, I hang them in the shower, or in the bedroom
The are damp almost dry, from the spin dry, not dripping wet,
I don't do RV resorts, and many dry camp forest service CG, are to dusty to hang clothes outside
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i have a portable washer with spin dry, then hang them to finish air drying, on a summer day they dry fast, winter day takes longer

A lot of the private parks we've been to prohibit hanging up laundry.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn’t go without
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
the main problem with a comb washer/dryer is it takes twice as long to do a load of laundry. the dryer portion is 120v and it takes a long time to dry a load of clothes, but on the other hand you need 50 amp service in your rig to operate a stack washer dryer since the dryer is 240v like in your house. if your rig is 30 amp you are then stuck with the comb washer dryer

I have the Splendide Ariston model stacked washer/dryer and my dryer is 120 VAC. I do a good size load of clothes in my washer as I snowbird 7 months a year. I can dry that same load in 50 minutes in the dryer. I think the reason it dries so well is the awesome 1500 RPM spin speed the washer provides which is about double the spin speed of most residential washers. The clothes feel almost dry after the spin cycle is finished. I would never consider running my units when the coach is in motion.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

MrWizard
i have a portable washer with spin dry, then hang them to finish air drying, on a summer day they dry fast, winter day takes longer

would love to have a built in stack set or combo, would love having the dryerr
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Makes a great hamper, very convenient to keep essential clothes clean without packing a whole bunch.

We are retired and take quite a few 3 night to 7 night trips.

As long as you get the stuff out when the drying cycle finishes up, the wrinkles are not too bad.

Glad to have it!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m a nearly full timer in a FW. I’d give up my AC before I’d give up my washer and dryer.
Larry

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
In my case it was a required replacement since our previous combo unit had died a graceful death after 12 years. I was willing to remove it and not replace it, but the wife wasn't. I wanted to purchase a storage/woodcarving/craft shed for our lot in FL and she said simply no washer dryer, no shed. We got both.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
Think outside the box.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
We would not be without our combo washer dryer unit. That said, if I had the room I would have a separate washer and dryer. The combo is much much slower but it gets the job done once I retrained myself in the way I do laundry. We are full timers though so your experience may be different. We do use some of the space of the combo by using it as a laundry hamper too.

I use my Splendide as a hamper for colors and when it is full enough to run I run it. My 5'er has a built in hamper that I use for whites. Works for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
One of the better investments. If you have room a stacked pair is better. But as long as you understand it, the Splendid combo does a great job.

My Splendide 2100XC has been doing a great job since 2010. I wouldn't even consider not having it. I'm a single guy too. When my ex is with me she likes having it too.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Gottahaveit
We travel alot and I have no problem not doing laundry for 2 weeks. Yes I bring alot of clothes..LOL We don't have hookups most of the time so having the Washer/Dryer isn't really and option. When we do have to do laundry I would rather get it over with in an hr. or so and be done with it. Our friends constantly have their timers set...lol gotta check the laundry. To each their own :W
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We are vacationers, and have had the Splendide Ariston stackables in the last two 5ers and now the MH. To me, the less packing and unpacking at home the better, and the W/D means we don't have to worry about bringing in linens, I just make up with new linens and wash the dirty ones next time out. It has got to the point we actually just leave a set of clothes on the rig, and they get washed as we go.

Now that we have the MH, I do run the dryer on the road, but I'm too nervous to run the washer. It is so far back there in the rear bathroom I would never hear if something went wacko.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Wimsey
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stacked unit and I would never be without a similar set-up. Beats campground laundries or running into town to do laundry. Of course, we only use it with full hookups as it does fill up the gray water tank. We aren't full time but like to be gone for a couple of weeks at a time. As someone mentioned, it's nice to get home with only a few dirty clothes.
Talboys -- aka 2005 40' Newmar Dutch Star 4011
Traveling home for Wimsey Bulldogs
Spartan Chassis
Blue Ox Tow Bar
2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Towed

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My DP is being replaced in 2 weeks after 20 years of use. In all the travels all over the country the Splendid was never once used. I to believe in the wash and fold. I, we, have better things to do while on the road. New one has no washer.