cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
This question is for those who have traveled to Yellowstone National Park. We recently returned from a trip by car to Yellowstone. We were fortunate to find a cabin in the park to stay. We noticed the campgrounds were full. There are hundreds of wide level turnouts throughout the park. Those who have been there know what I'm talking about. I know it is prohibited to park there overnight. At the same time the park is huge and there are so many turn-offs. Have you ever heard of a camper taking advantage of them when they can't get a campsite? This is just idle curiosity and nothing else.
18 REPLIES 18

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Staying inside the park. Then you don't have to commute. Then you can hear the elk bugle at night. You can hear owls and hawks. You get to camp with people that have been going there for 50 years. You camp with people that stay in tents.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone NP is a great place and the rangers and other staff are doing their best to preserve the beauty and features of the park. Been there many times over the past fifty years; winter and summer, and the Park Service does a good job in managing the park so people can enjoy their trip. Yes there are times when crowded conditions cause a stressful trip, but that comes with the territory; if you can't plan for a fall or spring adventure. As far as having a big rock at the rear of a camp site, that was probably placed there to prevent backing onto vegetation and eventually causing damage. There are some good USFS CG's not too far away from Yellowstone that can handle the overload if can't make it to the park and you want something similar. Hat's off to the NPS employees, they do a good job!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The time we visited Yellowstone in our Class C and after touring around to all of the main attactions in our RV (fairly easy in a 24 footer) - we stayed in one of the campsites inside the park that was out of the way on the side of the park away from where most of the attractions are.

It was drycamping only and it was very quiet and uncrowded. It was some time ago, but I believe it was a campground in kindof the Northeast corner of the park - over by where wolves could most likely be seen.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
On our one and only trip to Yellowstone we stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone just outside the west entrance. I guess I don't understand the attraction of staying INSIDE the park.

How about $80 a night vs $14 (Golden Age Pass) as a starting point??
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just my perception...most rangers are tree huggers that think anyone in a RV is squandering natural resources to build a RV and drive it. I assume they are the same ones that put that huge boulder or log at the rear of a RV campsite to frustrate large RV owners.
I wouldn't count on a ranger cutting you any slack.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know it is prohibited to park there overnight

Have you ever heard of a camper taking advantage of them when they can't get a campsite?

No. It's prohibited . ๐Ÿ˜‰

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
You asked, people answered. I think that the first officer to drive by after dark would put you on your way with a hefty fine. They enforce the rules strictly so that people do not trash the park or start unauthorized campsites. Before you scream about not trashing the park, it is just one of the things that they want to avoid, I didn't say you were going to do it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you replying to my question apparently did not read all of my post, and missed the part where I said my question was asked out of "idle curiousity" and nothing else. BTW, this was our first trip to Yellowstone and we drove in a car. I do not anticipate ever going there in a motorhome due to the long distance from our home.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of FS and out of the way campgrounds just on the outside that you shouldn't even think of this.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There are some other places where you might hole up for a few hours, like the parking area at Old Faithful (it's quite large), and I'm sure there are some other spots inside the park perimeter. Or stay just outside the park, as was also suggested. Probably a few places out there you could spend the night. Check for BLM/USFS places nearby.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
On our one and only trip to Yellowstone we stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone just outside the west entrance. I guess I don't understand the attraction of staying INSIDE the park.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
ok, so you know it is prohibited but if someone on the internet, who you don't even know, tells you that they have done it, then you would be willing to try it yourself? Not much reward for so much risk in my opinion.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
the park rangers watch that pretty close. I suppose you could get away with it once or twice, but not sure what the penalties are.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
It took me a while to realize that I'm not the first one to think like this with my RV ๐Ÿ™‚
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.