cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worlds first Motorhome Autopilot tested!

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/motorhome-crash/
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will tell you one Darwin story I did like, in fact I used to have the T-Shirt (Wore it out I did). The title was wrong though "Living on Zionist Time". You see not many who get Darwin Awards live. and this was no exception.

Zionists honor Daylight Savings Time (DST What I call Dumb Stupid Time) like everyone else but they Spring Forward and Fall Back on different Sundays than the rest of the world.

So the Bomb Maker was on DST, and the 4 man delivery crew on ST (Standard Time) (Why does it take 4 to deliver a car bomb?) so about 55 mintues from target

BOOM. 4 deat terrorist, and some road damage.. no other injuries.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Suffolk Gazette where this old nonsense story has reappeared is similar to "The Onion". About the ONLY true thing they publish is their disclaimer that the stories they publish are NOT TRUE!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
YEP! True! I read it on the Internet.
When I lived in Ca 2 fat guys shinnied down a rope into a Pawnshop. They filled a gunnysack with guns and ammo. They got so much loot it was too heavy for the 3 rd to pull up so they tried to smash the windows and doors which were bullet proof. Then they called 911 and got rescued.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the story about a Arab is true. It happened near Los Gatos, CA and I was on the freeway when it happened. Since I witnessed the mess, I followed the news for several days. The family of the man tried to sue the motorhome dealer, but story went away.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is an old Urban Myth, been around at least 15 years. Darwin (Wendy Northcutt) Investigated it for her Dawrinawards.com page long ago, NO such accident report could be found and the Motor home manufacturer has no records of the case either.

Stll Cute story and given the IQ of some folks I deal and the even lower IQ's of some I used to deal with (My Office phone number before I retired 9-1-1) Well. Not what I'd call beyond belief.

(We dealt with a lot of Darwin candidates on those lines don't you know).

I still have contact with some of my former 9-1-1 type co-workers.

IF we ever wrote a book.. You'd never believe it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
From the Suffolk Gazette "About" page:

"You couldnโ€™t make it up. Suffolk is full of strange and wonderful stories, and our tales explode across social media and get repeated by gullible mainstream media, including Sky News and national newspapers."

"Join our vibrant Facebook page for updates and ensuing hilarity whenever someone comments after believing something we have written."
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Yep urban legends
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I only use the cruise control as an auto pilot when I need to trade seats with my wife.:)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
cross21114 wrote:
I think that happened a few years ago in the States. The idiot ended up winning an award and led the the stupid warnings which appear in all RV manuals that you cannot leave the wheel when using cruise control. At least, the idiot in this case got fined and lost her license for a year. In the US, we give them money - we're so stupid.

I do not believe anybody in the USA has ever collected money for doing the stupid cruise control trick. There has been a variation on people thinking the Cruise Control is an Autopilot all the way back to 1979. Back then, the "story" was using a Middle Eastern Arab, (the USA had hostages in Iran) and he purchased a Winnebago product and activated the Cruise Control and Dies when it went off the road at 55 mph. It was all a hoax as well as any more such stories since then in the USA. There have been people that tried to sue when they did it, but I don't think anybody ever actually won and collected. Doug

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I think that happened a few years ago in the States. The idiot ended up winning an award and led the the stupid warnings which appear in all RV manuals that you cannot leave the wheel when using cruise control. At least, the idiot in this case got fined and lost her license for a year. In the US, we give them money - we're so stupid.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'll pass.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB