cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Bench Question

NomadicPaul
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am keeping my options open between a fifth wheel toy hauler and a Class "A".

One of my requirements is to have a small wood/metal workspace, that's why I was leaning towards the fifth wheel.

But then a friend told me he had seen Class "A" owners install a stowable pullout type workbench in the bottom storage compartment. I tried but was unable to find a picture.

Has anyone seen one?
9 REPLIES 9

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
If you did the toyhauler (Class A or 5th Wheel), you wouldn't have to tear down and stow everything each time you moved. Just secure it and close the door! And what a great patio off the shop 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this shop in the rear storage area of a large fifth wheel. YOUTUBE VIDEO
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen Class A coaches that pulled a trailer that was set up to hold a car and had a work bench at the front of the trailer. I haven't seen it, but a fellow FMC owner pulls a trailer that is an actual machine shop!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
For a small portable table with built in clamps, the Worx Pegasus is highly reviewed. If you want something larger made of wood, also portable and foldable, this is nice
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the 5th wheel. You won't be sorry. Just make sure the living space will meet your needs. In my case, my wife just didn't like any of the living spaces unless you got into the upper class which we couldn't afford.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in two class A rigs over the last 14 years, I would say that you should look at a toy hauler for a workable shop. That is IF you plan on using it a lot for projects.

I'm happy with my dinner table working as my benchtop most of the time when I have an electronics project. All my parts bins are in the space behind the bedroom TV, plus under the bed, so it's easier to work inside when I need to grab a part. Not always though.

I once rented a 1 room cabin at a RV park in addition to my RV space in order to work on a complicated project so that's how crowded working in a class A can be. Obviously, it's kind of a hassle working on a project inside the RV for any length of time.

When I do wood working or metal working, I use picnic tables along with my clamping vise like another poster said.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
There is always the option of a class A toy hauler, then you could have a garage work shop in the back.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Vise secured to picnic table with 2 big c-clamps works for me.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Doable if you want to set it up, watch your tools when you go inside and take it down each time, and it isn’t raining, cold, windy etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad