Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter travel

Brownsfan032
Explorer
Explorer
I have a gas class A
I live in northern New Jersey and store my rig in my driveway. We are leaving for a family vacation to Florida leaving December 8th.
Trying to avoid winterizing then having to drain and sanitize for a week and then re-winterizing again.
Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
Just remember there are two types of drivers when the snow flies.

Those who drive faster so they can get to the hospital and body shop on time.

And those who drive slower so they get to where they are going. Late but in one piece.
There are a third and fourth type also: those that drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions, and those that drive so slow (on roads that barely have a minuscule dusting of snow) that my 93 year old grandma could lap them with her walker while walking backwards.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember there are two types of drivers when the snow flies.

Those who drive faster so they can get to the hospital and body shop on time.

And those who drive slower so they get to where they are going. Late but in one piece.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Ed C wrote:
We just keep the heat on. More expensive that winterizing but much easier!

Same here; we avoid the hassle and keep the heat on (if you are confident your rig can avoid freezing in this manner). I have this scenario twice a year where the coach needs to get from indoor storage to somewhere before Christmas and getting prepped for spring break. We just keep the Aquahot fired up and heating elements on. It burns a little diesel, but far less than driving it, so not terribly noticeable.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ask for a "rough service" bulb. They are rated at 130 volts and so don't fail.

In my RV I got a 240 volt bulb from England. It has been fine for 13 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming the waste tanks are empty, I can winterize the water system with 2gal of antifreeze in about 15min....de...winterizing takes even less time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
if you do that be sure to place a 60 or 100-watt incandescent light bulb in the wet bay. many RVs, even basement models, don't heat that area. cheap insurance. Amazon still has incandescent bulbs available.

I ended up purchasing & using a couple of low wattage "personal heaters", which put out about 200W. I prefer these to the light bulbs as those filaments can be fragile, especially in a 100W incandescent bulb. One of those heaters with an inline thermostat electric cord do a good job of keep everything above freezing. Most days, if the day forecast is mid-30's or higher, I unplug them until evening sets in.

But when I DO winterize, I use air to blow out each line, individually. Just make sure to keep each faucet open until all of the water is out. Make sure to blow out the toilet, sprayer, washer/dryer hookup (if equipped), outdoor shower and the black tank rinse (if equipped).

Putting RV antifreeze in the drains is a good protection, as well.

Right before you leave for your trip, fill your freshwater tank and head south! Enjoy the trip!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Ed C wrote:

if you do that be sure to place a 60 or 100-watt incandescent light bulb in the wet bay. many RVs, even basement models, don't heat that area. cheap insurance. Amazon still has incandescent bulbs available.

Incandescent lights are getting harder and harder to find. Don't try with the the new ones that look like the old, those LED bulbs hardly put out any heat at all!

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Run the main furnace to heat the interior and storage bays. Put a heater or light bulb in the wet bay. Also, keep the water heater on. That has worked for me spending last winter in northern Delaware.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:
Blow the water lines clear and pour a little antifreeze in the drain traps. No problem, I do it probably 6 or 7 times a winter between my 2 m/hโ€™s.

Just be sure to read up on how to *properly* blow the lines clear.

No sanitizing required because youโ€™re not filling the lines with goop, once you get the hang of it, winter ing takes 10 minutes, and getting ready for use takes less than 5 minutes. Hook up water and open taps.

This is what I've done every year.
Just don't forget the outside shower or tank flush!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, donโ€™t use antifreeze in the potable water system and that solves the problem of de-winterizing. Basically eliminates it.
Blow the lines out. AF in the pee traps.
Fill the tank with water right before you leave the house and drive until it ainโ€™t cold anymore!

Or keep the camper heated and do nothing if you reasonably believe or know that will keep the potable system from freezing in late fall temps.

One is easier than the other if it works. Either is easier than winterizing the potable with AF and as a bonus, if you pick option 1, youโ€™ll learn how to never have to muck up your water system with AF again.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
survive on bottled water for the trip?

Get a large plastic bag for the toilet and use some kitty litter in it.

Sorta defeats one of the main purposes of having a full featured RV. But youโ€™re correct, yes it is technically an option.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Winterize, then drain into the bottles and rewinterize with the same antifreeze.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
survive on bottled water for the trip?

Get a large plastic bag for the toilet and use some kitty litter in it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.