cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Vista 35F

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2011 Vista 35F and would appreciate your comments, good or bad.
We had been rving since 1970 and owned class c, fifth wheel, tt and other, but never an A.
Driving big rigs is not a problem as I used to drive school bus and large water well drilling machines and trucks.
I am interested in hearing first hand experiences with the Winnebago Vista 35F, 2011 model.
Thank you.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK
12 REPLIES 12

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 that we purchased in 2012 as a dealer leftover. Yes the outside compartments can be a real headbanger and struts to hold them open would be nice. New models have side opening doors. Half bath is nice and once you have one you won't go back. Side couch is a little short for me, meaning the distance from your back to your knees. DW thinks it's fine of course. Huge shower is a plus. Make sure to check that there are no cracks in the shower pan. Has been an issue for some. Fiberglass roof is a nice feature. Does have some squeaks and we are slowly working through these. You fix the loudest one first, then go on to find the next loudest. Had a problem where the rubber coupler between the half bath black tank and the Macerater came loose and we got a not so nice surprise. Found a depression in flooring as if a knot popped out of the wood substrate and they just put the vinyl flooring over it. Had to go to the factory for a fix but that was quite painless. Overall a very livable coach that we still like very much.

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at moving from a Class C to an A. We want to stay with a gasser as we do not use it enough to justify a DP. After having a close scare with a rubber roof, we are done with them.

In the Class A-Gasser models we are looking at Winnebago or Tiffin. Since we don't have Tiffin money, we are negotiating (for the last week or so) with a dealer over a Winny 35F. We could get a Thor cheaper, but we can't accept a rubber/TPO roof again.

Winnebago offers a 10 year parts/labor warranty on that fiberglass roof....sold!

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Effy wrote:

Nope, Fiberglass roof is the ONLY factor to consider in your purchase. whatever..

finally, a convert. 🙂
but seriously, the OP was looking at a winnebago, so you want him to not buy the winnie and buy something with a rubber roof instead?
bumpy

Nah, The fiberglass roof has merit, I was just giving you a hard time Bumpy.
2013 ACE 29.2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

Nope, Fiberglass roof is the ONLY factor to consider in your purchase. whatever..

finally, a convert. 🙂
but seriously, the OP was looking at a winnebago, so you want him to not buy the winnie and buy something with a rubber roof instead?
bumpy

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you bzny. Now that's the kind of info I was looking for, real life experiences.
2008 Montana 3000RK

bz_ny
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I owned a 2011 37F for 3 years trading in for an Adventurer 37F.
Loved the floor plan bath and a half is very useful. Once you have it you'll understand. The unit was comfortable and reliable. The biggest negative for us the sectional sofa as a bed. It was to bumpy (not flat enough) Once side higher than the other. Something you might not be aware off. Added a trk-l-start to keep engine battery charged when connected to shore power also added struts to hold open baggage doors. Swapped single stage charger for 4 stage. Please be careful of the living room tv. It is easy to bump into and break. Happened to us in the first month. I have a nice screen protector I'll sell cheap.
Over all a really good unit.

Bill&Karen

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
I am aware of fiberglass verses "rubber" roof. I have had many rvs and I am not one to have problems with either.
I am looking for more than just what it has or doesnt have, those are obvious things. After living in one what have you found for likes and dislikes? What little things bug you or make you smile about this coach?
Thanks
2008 Montana 3000RK

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll say this and then let it be; A roof, fiberglass or not is not the largest concern. All roofs have seams and holes and that is where leaks come from. I would guess that very few leaks actually are from perforations in the membrane itself. It's from a seam or someplace that a component is attached. Also, if TPO, that's an easy and cheap fix. Fiberglass, not so much. I have seen the thin skin of fiberglass that Winnie puts on. It's not by any means impervious. Might be stronger than TPO but I wouldn’t guess by much. I like this quote from Dicor Pres Gregg Fore, “The fiberglass used on roofs is so thin that if it gets stressed in installation – which you may or may not know about – it can develop hairline cracks because of its stiffness,”

IMHO,, the largest deciding factor with any new or used MH is floorplan, then reliability of all the components.
2013 ACE 29.2

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Roof material is a minor consideration. Winnebago makes great rigs. Just make sure you inspect it from head to toe before purchasing.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not completely with bumpy but do agree that the roof is extremely important. Often it is due or die for an RV. Consider how many awesome airstream coaches (non fiberglass) still exist today. I saw one the other day from the 1960 that still looked fantastic (buffed out). It GLEAMED in the sun.

Longevity is very important to me with an RV. Some people keep a coach a while and "trade up" (quotes emphasized), while others like to have the same coach nearly for the rest of their lives (coach includes travel trailer).

Fiberglass roofs indeed are wonderful because somebody can buy one and let it be. Rubber roofs however, will last a good long while but do wear.

It is not the only factor on buying a coach though, but the roof is a very important factor. The #1 factor of warning for anybody buying a used coach is "check for leaks". Fiber roofs are insane reliable to prevent this.

But it should NOT be the only factor in buying a coach whatsoever. Everybody needs to consider their needs/wants when buying - and their situation.

For me personally, since I budget RV a lot and don't have a tremendous bank roll, I go for the longevity. A fiber or solid stainless roof would be more appealing.

Winnebago makes a great coach OP. I don't think you can go wrong.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I would have bet money that bumpy would have chimed in about the roof. He beat me to it. Fiberglass roof? Nuff said. No other factors matter. Where do I sign?

Never mind that countless thousands of RVs are on the road with membrane roofs for decades without issues.

2013 ACE 29.2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
well it will have a fiberglass roof and the competition probably has either rubber or TPO.
bumpy