Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which BIG RIG TRUCK atlas do you use?

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I bought myself a 2005 Monaco Windsor 38ft diesel pusher and do not want to be stuck under any low clearances. YIKES! I googled big rig truck atlas and got numerous results. But, which one is the best?
Which one do you use?
thanks
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad
10 REPLIES 10

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Remember to that "it's just tall enough for me to get under" on paper/screen may not be true in reality. Many underpasses have been repaved since being measured and can end up several inches shorter than the stated height.

Where does this happen? Going back decades I always see pavement milled out under overpass before re-paved.
Would think if a vehicle struck overpass that had less clearance than sign said the liability would hurt whoever was in charge of signage. I have measured a few when moving permit loads, normally taller than what sign says.
When checking the height of your rig a level long enough to reach from high point past side of vehicle makes it easier.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Havenโ€™t looked at an atlas in yrs. I used a Garmin gps most of the time, but lately found them to not be that accurate or precise on their directions. Google maps works for me. Overhead clearances are always marked. Know your limitations and enjoy.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
dalej wrote:
Motor carriers' road atlas
Book by Rand McNally

x2
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember to that "it's just tall enough for me to get under" on paper/screen may not be true in reality. Many underpasses have been repaved since being measured and can end up several inches shorter than the stated height.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Rand McNally US & Canada Road Atlas, Good Sam 19th Edition - this is great and has campgrounds
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use

Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas

Rand McNally Road Atlas Midsize
(It gets torn apart and stuffed into sheet protectors so I can write my route and notes on the sheet protectors with wet erase markers)

The Next Exit Interstate Highway Guide

I replace every 3 years (not all at the same time). I prefer to run US Highways rather than Interstate Highways. Since US highways cross over Interstates, the Next Exit lets me know what is at those exits. The trucker's atlas let's me know what roads are not good for longish campers. Also easier to see the "truck bypass" for various small towns.

I have noticed that there is a lot of truck traffic on the US highways. It seems that the truckers are going back to the old US Hwy routes. I know I can make better time bypassing Atlanta's Interstates and taking US441. Adds miles but saves me hours. Plus it's not as stressful.

I use the CoPilot app on a cheapie Android tablet (it can go into my different vehicles).

I plot my routes online. I use my own personalized travel maps built in Google My Maps as well as Google Maps. I double check with my trucker's atlas. I outline the route in my sheet protected map. I check the Next Exit for potential stops. I load it into my CoPilot app.

#1 Get out and use a tape measure to see how tall you REALLY are. That not only means the distance from the ground to the top of the roof but also any thingy that sticks up above the roof (including antennas).

If you are in a fiver, hook it up and measure the highest point.

Write the highest measurement down and stick it someplace that you can easily see it without searching for it. You might want to include your loaded weight in pounds and tons as many bridges on secondary roads are rated in tons.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My advice is to not trust anything you read or GPS information on clearances plus those overpasses that may not be printed or correct. Likely most major truck routes are OK but there are many roads that are not truck routes.

Above all else accurately measure your height! Don't believe what you might read about your RV height.

Most fuel stations are OK but not all, let alone other structures. Clearance signs should be accurate but could have changed due to road construction. There are periodic posts of trucks and RVs with an undesirable close relationship to the overpass.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

back in the day, well before cell phones and GPS's, I drove big rigs... at a young age I went to a truck stop and purchased a Truckers Atlas... laminated pages, large book with spiral binding.. easy to use and precise for trucks... NOT SURE if it included bridge heights?? I would have to dig it out to see.

They do make special GPS' now that you can input your rig's measurements to assure the route is doable
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
Which online version of maps is the best for Rv'rs. Needs to be able to avoid low clearances and not detoured off of interstates for shortcuts. Capable of making scenic routes. Do any paper atlases also contain this information.

Thanks

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Motor carriers' road atlas
Book by Rand McNally
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens