cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel covers making noise

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have a Winnebago sightseer 2005. My front driver side wheel cover keeps making rubbing sounds. When I take it off no sounds. I’ve tried moving it around and reattaching sometimes it’s quiet for a bit but then it starts making noise again. I can’t figure out how it’s rubbing when it’s attached to the wheel? Anyone with this issue. Any ideas? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of wheel covers can be installed slightly off center. If any part of the wheel cover contacts the rubber of the tire while turning it will cause a sound that sounds like dragging brakes. Sometimes the wheel cover and tire will only make contact at the bottom of the rotation when the tire spreads out.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of wheel covers can be installed slightly off center. If any part of the wheel cover contacts the rubber of the tire while turning it will cause a sound that sounds like dragging brakes. Sometimes the wheel cover and tire will only make contact at the bottom of the rotation when the tire spreads out.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My Class A did that, too. Try switching covers. I ended up using a towel (to prevent scarring) and a rubber mallet and went all around the hubcap. Worked for me.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Spray with wd40 and tighten.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switch it to the opposite wheel and see what happens.

Reminds me of when I put a couple of nuts in one of my helpers car hub cap. Took him days to figure it out. His father had a good laugh over that.