cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use for GPS

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Went to update my Garmin (RV 760) this morning. I got sent to a site that wanted to charge me for updates. This unit is supposed to have lifetime maps. Any advice on how to get those updates ? Failing that is there an app to use on a phone that is reliable and reasonably priced ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
34 REPLIES 34

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know, I have found that CoPilot for RV with their off-line maps is an incredibly powerful GPS with no Internet required. Someone said CoPilot led them down the wrong road! All I know after thousands of miles in all kinds of places it has never led me wrong.

Make sure you get the occasional upgrades and always download the new maps and you will be good. CoPilot makes a GPS for truckers and that is really telling. It is known as one of the best ones out there. As you can imagine truckers must have the right and best in directions and also the amount of time to get there. Itโ€™s a route planner and you donโ€™t get much better than that.

My Garmin decided to recalculate just outside Indianapolis, IN putting me someplace I should not have been! With off line maps there is no recalculation or need for internet.

Try it youโ€™ll like it... Hey Mikey!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I still have Streets and Trips with the Pharos GPS. It still works!
Cellphones do not always have service.
Stand alone GPS is still the best way to go.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our functional copy of Street Atlas is from 2015 and was out of date when I got it because Garmin (used to be a favorite supplier) had shut off Delorme and the best planning package ever is no more. It is still my Go To package for planning. This is something that stand alone GPS are very poor at accomplishing. The only thing I have had less success with is trying to use a "smart" phone for this. They say you can pre-load the charts for where you expect to be and that is all well and good unless your plans get changed. When you run off the loaded charts, you can hope the the now 7 year out of date Street Atlas works and/or you can locate yourself on the paper that us paranoid navigators still carry.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Just updated a 4 year old Garmin from their Express site with no problems.

I would update Express and try a map upgrade again

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
Went to update my Garmin (RV 760) this morning. I got sent to a site that wanted to charge me for updates. This unit is supposed to have lifetime maps. Any advice on how to get those updates ? Failing that is there an app to use on a phone that is reliable and reasonably priced ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Give Garmin customer service a call. They will update your GPS and not charge you.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents worth...if that:

Just did an update on my Garmin Nuvi Drive. It went seamlessly....other than it took forever because I hadn't done it in a longggg time.

I am not so much interested in on-line navigation. That's easy via a cell phone app. Where I really want the assistance is often in places that doesn't have cell service. So I prefer a system that works off-line.

Outfitting both a new truck and UTV so I thought I would try using a tablet that I could switch between the two vehicles. Bought a tablet and figured out a mounting system that would work in both vehicles. Have been trying out a few different navigation apps (there are dozens) but, so far, I haven't found one that is as easy to use as the Garmin. Often we don't need turn by turn navigation, just use the moving map display with elevation and heading on the display. I think I am just gona get a couple new Garmins for the two vehicles (my old Garmin already found a home in the wife's vehicle.

I am familiar with the fancy built in map displays (both the truck and car have them). But they have to be linked to a cell phone to work and, unless you set it up in advance, they need internet to function. A dedicated Garmin is just so much easier. Just get in and drive.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If Garmin said maps for life when they sold it and has since reneged I recommend a class action attorney.

What I use.. My Samsung Galaxy Cell phone
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If you have lifetime maps then you went to some hacker site. Check this link out and make sure you use THEIR Garmin Express download.

Garmin Support
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Updated my Garmin about three weeks ago and had no issues. Did use WiFi instead of Garmin Express but there was no charge. Updated maps on my older unit about four months ago with Garmin Express and no issue there either. Storage on most can be increased by adding a micro sd card into the slot.
Maybe the charge is just for Cantifornia residents?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for reminding me to update! I am currently updating my old Garmin Nuvi 265 that's at least 15 years old now.. Got the 'lifetime updates' a long time ago and it still updates the old thing..

Using Garmin Express. I have never been asked to pay again?

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just stay awake and aware if you use Googly garbage, just yesterday it gave me a route that included a road with an underpass with a 9'7" clearance. Google expects everyone to be puttering around in microcars.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've been using google maps for some time now.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mine goes straight into Garmin for updates.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we were

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Were you using Garmin Express for the updates?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow