cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What ladder do you keep in motorhome

ccrewstx
Explorer
Explorer
We have just bought a new Bounder and need to get a ladder that will fit under it in bins. What ladder do you carry and how long.

Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a "Little Giant" from Costco a few years ago. It's a Class 1A and 300lb capable. Not the easiest to store, but I'm able to access the roof when I need to. I'm too big for most of the folding ones out there with their 225lb capacity. Look around, try them where you can, and see which makes the most sense for you.

Little Giant Folding Ladder
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 5โ€™ ladder that fits in the storage compartments of my Winnebago! Donโ€™t know the brand of the ladder it was given to me by my Grandson!

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
JFC wrote:
We have the 7.5' STIK folding ladder from CW. Folds into 4" square by 7.5 feet. Kept in storage bay for years and never used. Had an awning problem and needed it at a rest area on Sunday when we couldn't get road service. Glad we had it.

Thatโ€™s what I have plus a 4ft folding step ladder. I use both quite often.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my 5' aluminum ladder on the back ladder of the coach.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Why would you expect that I carry a ladder?

Most of us like to inspect our seams and even clean the roof. Less than $90 for the collapsing ladder at Amazon is a really good price.

PS: I must have missed where the OP asked if Whitney carried a ladder.

I have one that was factory installed on the rear of the RV I own now. The TT I had didn't have one so I installed one on the rear. Cost about 150 if I remember right.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I use this folding ladder. It folds down to 4-5" square and so is easier to manage moving around campsite. This link is Camping World, but it is available from Amazon and other retailers.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
8 ft Fiberglass stepladder from Home depot.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Found a FOUR step stepladder to install the windshield cover. Carry it on the installed ladder to access the roof. I gave up accessing the roof when I reached 80. Use some of the kids inheritance to have someone younger do that now.

When I was younger I used the installed ladder (mine were good - some are junk) to reach the roof for cleaning and maintenance. That's what they are there for - not to carry bicycles.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I found one of these by the dumpster last year. Works great.
Good find! I carry one of these, it fits on my slideout tray.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 7.5' STIK folding ladder from CW. Folds into 4" square by 7.5 feet. Kept in storage bay for years and never used. Had an awning problem and needed it at a rest area on Sunday when we couldn't get road service. Glad we had it.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I just bought an 8.5 foot telescoping ladder (Todeco brand) for use as the emergency exit escape ladder, and while it is rated 330 lbs, I don't believe it. I am about 250, and it feels just a little squirrelly to me. I've no plans to use it to climb atop the roof, but it is long enough to do chores that don't require me to get up onto the roof. It squashes down to about 30 inches tall.

It appears to me that the ladder makers are phasing out the 8.5 foot telescoping ladders in favor of 10.5 to 16.5 foot models, all of which would be major overkill for my escape ladder.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Most of us like to inspect our seams and even clean the roof. Less than $90 for the collapsing ladder at Amazon is a really good price.

PS: I must have missed where the OP asked if Whitney carried a ladder.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I carry INSIDE is a telescope.. This ladder is about 2' tall when I bring it in (I carry it inside the hosue not basement) and too short when extended (I use it for non-roof operations)

FOr Roof work the RV came with a ladder, JUNK installed, it went away, I literally pulled it off with one hand.
Replaced it with a pair of "J" hooks. these are bent from Pick Up Bumper metal and hold a combo extension/step ladder

As a step ladder it works for wash and wax
As an extension ladder it is EXACTLY long enough to put me on the roof.

And it is way stronger and easier to climb than the factory toy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times