cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Pump

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 volt water pump in my DIY van conversion pumps too fast. Do any of you well versed in electronics know what type of resistor or rheostat I could use to slow the pump down. I was thinking of a rheostat that I could wire in or a resistor that I could wire in with a switch control so I could use it with a switch to have a fast mode and a slow mode. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I used a step down voltage reducer that had a knob like a volume control with my pump and it is working much to my satisfaction. I knew you guys would come through with the info I needed.

karlstream
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you can slow the pump down by reducing it's voltage, you might try this:

LM2596 Buck Step-down Power Converter Module DC 4.0~40 to 1.25-37V LED Voltmeter.

It has an adjustment screw to adjust it's output voltage.

They go for $3 to $4 bucks on eBay and should be able to handle 1.7 amps. I would get one rated for at least 2 amps.

karl

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
$18 pump.....1.1 gpm

DC Rheostat will cost almost as much as that pump did

Amazon
PEMENOL Motor Speed Controller PWM DC 5V 12V 24V 150W Adjustable Speed Regulator with Stepless… $14.99

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
The pump I am using is similar to the one below. It is a small RV water pump that runs on 12 volt with a 1.7 amp draw. The manual pump handle was corroded badly so I replace lines the inside of the faucet above the sink with a small clear flexible tube and eliminated the pump handle and just use the 12 volt switch to run the pump. It runs too fast so now I want to add a rheostat or resistor to slow the pump down.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I use the handle on the faucet to adjust the flow.

^ This

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Runs too fast.....haven't heard of that before

What pump are you using????

That info will help with responses
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I use the handle on the faucet to adjust the flow.