cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty question

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my motorhome (2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40g) for less than 1 year, so it is still under all of its warranties.

I had to take it to the Freightliner service center to have a recall done on it. So while it was there I had a full service done and also an alignment done. Also, I had them look at a problem where my headlights come on by themselves. I was assuming that this would be a Freightliner thing (I know I shouldn't assume).

I am picking up the motorhome this afternoon, so this is hypothetical for now, but the amount they said I owe seems like they are charging me a couple of hours for the headlight problem.

I understand that whatever I signed allows them to charge me if they found the problem was on the Fleetwood side of things. I don't have a problem paying it. And I probably should have asked Fleetwood first what I should do.

So, it that what we are supposed to do. Call the dealer or Fleetwood first and see where they want me to take the motorhome to have something fixed.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
7 REPLIES 7

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Call Fleetwood customer service.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman wrote:
Well, they couldn't find the problem. So, I got charged an hour of labor ($130).

The problem is, they say that even if I bring the RV in with the problem occurring and they fix the problem, they don't reimburse the previous time they spent. Their suggestion is not to have something looked at while you happen to be there for service.

So, we will see next time and then I will contact Freightliner, Fleetwood and anybody else.

David

Consider calling Freightliner Customer Support Center NOW to see if they have any ideas.

Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation
552 Hyatt St.
Gaffney, SC 29341

CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE OR CONCERNS
Contact our Customer Support Center at
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)

Camp Freightliner
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Things have changed a lot over the years. There was a time when it didn't matter whether the tech found the problem as far as warranty was concerned. The company (in this case either Freightliner or Fleetwood) would pay the dealer for the time spent trying to reproduce and solve a problem.

Over time they caught so many dealers trying to pad the bill they now want proof that the problem was duplicated and a detailed description including reference to a diagnostic tree and specific components/circuits that were repaired before they lay out a dime.

If it's a flat rate shop the technicians aren't willing to put in an hour or more without being compensated. Likewise if the techs are paid hourly the dealer isn't willing to have them spend time on a problem without recovering at least the wages they paid out.

The other side of the coin is that there were always people who didn't understand how a system was supposed to work. They never read the manuals and "assumed" that XXX worked the same in their new coach as it did in the one they bought 20 years ago. Technicians would repeatedly attempt to "repair" systems that were in reality working the way they were designed. Only to have customers come back time and time again with the same "problem that couldn’t be fixed".

I'm not saying you don't have a problem. Quite to the contrary we have a Buick that also has a "phantom" problem that can only be duplicated under very specific circumstances. I too have learned the hard way not to ask the dealer to look at the problem unless I can duplicate it in front of the technician. Unfortunately in in our "new economy" it comes down to if the problem can't be duplicated the time spent gets charged to the customer.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, they couldn't find the problem. So, I got charged an hour of labor ($130).

The problem is, they say that even if I bring the RV in with the problem occurring and they fix the problem, they don't reimburse the previous time they spent. Their suggestion is not to have something looked at while you happen to be there for service.

So, we will see next time and then I will contact Freightliner, Fleetwood and anybody else.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Perhaps if you contact Fleetwood, they will reimburse you for the cost of repairs, if it was a Fleetwood problem fixed by Freightliner.
Kinda hard for you to GUESS where the problem is on an electrical issue so it leaves you with taking it to a service center convenient to you and hoping for the best.

And if they turn you down, there is always the "Hot Line" column in MotorHome magazine which resolve conflicts between consumers and RV dealers and manufacturers, accessories suppliers and service providers. You have to exhaust all resources, you can contact them by typed letter to MotorHome Hot Line at 2575 Vista Del Mar, Ventura, Ca 93001. You have to enclose copies of appropriate bills and correspondence, plus a self-addressed, stamped, envelope. Selected letters are edited and published unless otherwise requested. This approach has helped lots of RVers in dealing with situations that looked to them hopeless.

Good Luck!!! And if Fleetwood turns you down, I hope to be reading your letter in my issue soom. But hopefully it will not have to go that far!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the problem was a switch or wiring supplied by Freightliner, they should cover it with their warranty.
If it was a problem with the way the headlights were installed on the front cap, than Fleetwood should cover it with their warranty.
Perhaps if you contact Fleetwood, they will reimburse you for the cost of repairs, if it was a Fleetwood problem fixed by Freightliner.
Kinda hard for you to GUESS where the problem is on an electrical issue so it leaves you with taking it to a service center convenient to you and hoping for the best.

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
You should look at the bill and find out what they are charging you for, but seeing you haven't picked it up yet that will be hard to do. You had an alignment done and other service, was that all free or are you paying for it. When they told you what you owed did you not ask them what it was for? You have an RV that is a year old and under warranty, you probably should have taken it back to where you bought it for any work that had to be done.