cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use electric polisher on body?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
After waxing my RV, the polishing part is labor intensive. Takes a lot of effort and time.

Is the use of an electric polisher going to do a good job, or will it actually damage the paint or anything else. I'm sure that the decals need special care, but what else?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
11 REPLIES 11

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
The 10" polisher does a good job and won't burn anything. Get several different
bonnets for it. Nor does it leave swirl marks. Made for waxing.
Brian
And you use a lot less product applying it with the orbital polisher I use 2 of them my son applies and I follow up and buff can do the entire coach in 2 hours, and not have your arm in a sling when done
2009 Challenger

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing it for 13 years. It's on a low setting (3 out of 10), use little pressure and move it gradually not letting it sit in one place. I love a shiny coach! I do it myself, takes 5 hours on my 40ft Country Coach. I polish it every 3 months, yes pretty anal but what the hell, a man needs something to do.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Brian

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Brian

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
The Harbor Freight buffer does a good job on my car,about $16.00.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above an orbital buffer works fine. I bought a small one - 5 inch - because holding a bigger one up high while on a ladder was hard for me.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me it would depend on how bad the gel coat is oxidized. If highly oxidized a buffer and polishing compound is a good way to restore the shine, if the surface will still take a take a shine by hand and you just want to save some time I would use an orbital polisher, you won't risk burning through the gelcoat or paint like an electric buffer especially if you never used one before. I used an electric buffer on my boat and as Ron eluded to, on external radii it is easy to put a lot of pressure and remove too much material.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as the electric polisher is used at a slow speed without too much pressure it should be OK. On any edges, do them by hand and only use the electric polisher for the large flat areas.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Used correctly, an orbital polisher will give a great shine.....used incorrectly, it will burn the paint and take vinyl stickers/decals off in short order. It's really only best used as a buffer AFTER you hand remove wax with a rag. The key to using one is to not apply TOO much pressure and to keep it moving side to side so it doesn't heat the paint too much in one spot. Oh, and you'll want to make sure the buffing pad stays clean and free of debris so it's not force-scratching the paint with sand/grit.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
A random orbital works very well for both applying and buffing.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mobile service person do mine. Washes roof and washes and waxes coach for $300 well worth it to me as I getting too old for that stuff. I'll Defer to others to give advice on electric polisher use.

Best of luck and Safe travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad