cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urgent: Need Tire Advice Class A Diesel

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
Today, Friday Sep 9, I had an incident and punctured a sidewall in Duluth MN. Currently I have Toyo 12R22.5 all around. These tires were installed in July 2010, so they have been in use for a little over 6 years. The tires were not fresh when I installed them: they ranged from 1.5 years to 0.5 years old when installed (I was misled by the dealer). Since they are almost aged out Iโ€™m inclined to replace all 6, if I can find a suitable set. Therein lies the rub.

I called a local Class A RV dealer for a recommended tire vendor. The first could get nothing until at least Wednesday. The other could get me some Goodyear G661s in my size on Monday morning (mine is an uncommon size). The dealer said he had put this model on RVs in the past with no complaint. I looked up this model on the Goodyear site, and it is characterized as a truck tire rather than an RV tire.

So, it looks like my options are to buy one or a whole set of the GY G661 or stay here for up to a week if I choose a different model or size. I canโ€™t really do any more until Monday. We have been on the road for over two months and need to be home in NC in a week or so, so our time is not unlimited I will do some research over the weekend for other models.

In the meantime:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the GY G661.

2. I like my Toyos, but that may not be an option. Any other recommendation for a particular model?
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)
24 REPLIES 24

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, it's Monday evening and we urgently need to know what you did. :B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin has a 12R22.5 in their new XZE line for large RV, bus, truck, etc. Supposedly has lots more steel in the tire and much more durable as far as road hazards, in addition to claimed fuel economy.

If you go with the FMCA Michelin Advantage program, I would consider them.

http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/selector/#!/info/xze

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new class 8 truck that came with 1200's on it. They were more expensive and you had to order them in. After a couple of sets I went down to 1100's and there was a height difference and a small capacity difference but they worked well for me. They are also available anywhere.
I currently run 1100's (Firestone) on my coach replacing 295's and they are cheaper and ride and handle better than the 295 (Goodyears)
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry,

Other choices when moving from a 9R22.5 include:

Michelin 255/80R22.2
Other manufacturer's 265/75R22.5

Yes, you will need to verify clearances and also rim size.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ames
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I'm assuming you meant to type 12R22.5.

I had 9R22.5 on the Sahara but was having a hard time finding them. The manufacturer also recommended 25570R22.5 as well. I bought a set of 6 Yokohama RY023 tires for $2500. These are 16 ply H rated tires. The only issue is the smaller diameter makes my speedo read high.

Here's a thread on the 661s.

When you change tire sizes you can get a CAT or Cummins to reset the "Pulse" rate for your speedometer to read accurately. Takes under 15 minutes and for me was no charge. Service manager did it and called the others over for a teaching moment.
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see ---- I just replaced my 5 1/2 year front steer tires (Bridgestone) with Sumitomos and put the Bridgestones on the tag axle and I am running 4 Hercules tires on the drive axle. How's that for mixing brands, ha. By the way no problems of any kind.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:
gbopp wrote:
How about just replacing the steer tires until you get home?
Then if you don't like the GY's you won't take as much of a beating if you decide to replace them.
I agree with this post! I drove OTR for over 44 years before retiring and I very rarely did I mix tire brands only to limp home on!

I assume you mean mixing tire brands on the same axle/dual. I've run Michelin's on my steer and Goodyear's on the tag/rear duals for years. GY does not make a 315 tire, Michelin does.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
How about just replacing the steer tires until you get home?
Then if you don't like the GY's you won't take as much of a beating if you decide to replace them.
I agree with this post! I drove OTR for over 44 years before retiring and I very rarely did I mix tire brands only to limp home on!

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have the 12R tires and while not common are not that difficult to find. Last month I replaced my front Toyos with hankook so that is an option. The 195/80 is also used as a replacement for the 12R but both that and the 11R are smaller in diameter so that could be a small issue on the drive.

If I were in a pinch I would try to just replace both the steer tires with new and worry about the others later. I didn't see on the OP if the puncture was on a steer or drive tire.

Don't go to an RV dealer just shop around for commercial tire suppliers. Also go to the Toyo and Hankook websites and look for dealers in you area.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run 5 psi over what the load tables call for... you are running 15 psi over on the front and rear from the load table pressures. You could use 11R/22.5 and still run the same pressures and you would still be 5 psi over what the load table call for.

I can only lead you to the water, I cannot make you drink it.
PS: a 11R22.5 is a very common truck tire making for really good prices and availability.
PSS: The GY 661 does not have a tire edge groove... decoupling groove which is also the problem with GY 670 wear problems.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
GVAR: 13,200 front 20,000 rear
Actual weight: 9800 front 20,075 rear
Front 85 psi Rear 90 psi

Myron

Ivylog wrote:
OVER KILL, YES to the point of being absurd. What pressures are you running front/rear?
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OVER KILL, YES to the point of being absurd. What pressures are you running front/rear?
A single 12R at 100 psi is good for 6400lbs.
A single 11R at 100 psi is good for 5950lbs.
Doubt you have 12,000 lbs on your front axle.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
footslogger wrote:
OP here. Lot's of good suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I'll spend the weekend considering my options. I can't really do anything until Monday anyway.

Country Coach tended towards overkill, perhaps the reason for furnishing the 12Rs.

If either of the dealers here participates in the FMCA Michelin Advantage program, I might replace all 6 with whatever appropriate tire they can get quickly.

The punctured tire is on the rear. I may investigate installing a used tire on the rear, or perhaps 2 new steer tires and put an older steer tire on the rear. I'll consult with with dealer on Monday regarding my options.

Myron

that's what makes the most sense to me.Put two new on the front and use one of them for the flat on the rear