cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble shooting and other questions from a newbie

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit of a newbie with motorhomes but have had pull behinds for a while. I just picked up a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z this week and am going through all the little details and figuring everything out. Have a few things I need some help on.

1. Ceiling light circuit. All of a sudden the ceiling lights in the main living area won't turn on. I checked all the 12v breakers, both house and chasis. All good.

My next assumption was a bad switch, i've had them go bad in a camper. I pulled the switch, it's a 2 gang (or whatever you call it in this application). The accent lighting switch works. The ceiling doesn't. Tested the leads and got 12.3v on the accent light, but no voltage on the ceiling. I didn't think to test the switch for continuity with it out, but since i got no voltage i guess it doesn't matter.

Where do i go next?

2. Speaking of ceiling lights. What the heck kind of bulbs are these?

I'm working on switching to LED's and don't know what to call these to search for.

3. What about this bulb? Its in the reading lamps throughout the coach.

4. The coach came with a remote lock/unlock for the door and cargo hatches. Checked the breakers. Good. Replaced remote battery. Neither the remote or the switch when coming in door do anything. Any ideas?

5. A piece of the corian cooktop cover is broken off. I have the piece. Any suggestions on adhesive to re-attach it?

13 REPLIES 13

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:
Very helpful.

RE#2 If you get a chance can you snap a pic of what your bulbs look like? It's the ceiling lights that look like this with the trim on.

When I clicked on IMAGE all I went to was a screen with Google asking me to sign in.

My ceiling lights are all flourescent tubes in the living and galley and #1141 bulbs in the bath and bedroom.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/lighting/light-bulbs/12v-light-bulbs_55-9458
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Here is the link to Winnebago you can search for and download all the drawings for your RV. They even carry the operator manuals.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:
I'm a bit of a newbie with motorhomes but have had pull behinds for a while. I just picked up a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z this week and am going through all the little details and figuring everything out. Have a few things I need some help on.

1. Ceiling light circuit. All of a sudden the ceiling lights in the main living area won't turn on. I checked all the 12v breakers, both house and chasis. All good.

My next assumption was a bad switch, i've had them go bad in a camper. I pulled the switch, it's a 2 gang (or whatever you call it in this application). The accent lighting switch works. The ceiling doesn't. Tested the leads and got 12.3v on the accent light, but no voltage on the ceiling. I didn't think to test the switch for continuity with it out, but since i got no voltage i guess it doesn't matter.

Where do i go next?

2. Speaking of ceiling lights. What the heck kind of bulbs are these?

I'm working on switching to LED's and don't know what to call these to search for.

3. What about this bulb? Its in the reading lamps throughout the coach.

4. The coach came with a remote lock/unlock for the door and cargo hatches. Checked the breakers. Good. Replaced remote battery. Neither the remote or the switch when coming in door do anything. Any ideas?

5. A piece of the corian cooktop cover is broken off. I have the piece. Any suggestions on adhesive to re-attach it?

ACDNate,
I've not read all the responses to your thread but, it appears that the first pic shows an LED already in place. The second pic is a standard 15mm, bayonet base, either reading lamp bulb or, flood light bulb, incandescent for sure.

As for gluing your Corian, NO you don't have to go to a "professional". There's quite a few glues out on the market now that will work outstandingly on your piece of Corian. And no, you wont' make a big mess, only a little kid will do that. Gorilla is now making glues for any application out there. I've used many of their products and, without a doubt, they know what they're doing when designing a glue. I just used their construction adhesive for re-gluing a headlight bracket back onto the front back side of my front cap. I gotta tell ya, If I wanted to take that bracket back off, I'd have to tear that whole front cap off the motorhome to do it.

The website I've used many times for LEDs is:

www.superbrightleds.com

While they may be a tad bit expensive, they by far, have the best quality of any LED supplier out there. And, not only that but, their site is the most informative of any I've ever seen. They will tell you everything you'll ever need to know about LEDs, the bases for bulbs, the type of LEDs, you'll need, the brightness, color core temp, and more.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 1383 ceiling fixture looks like your picture. In the last 3 years I have not found a 1383 LED replacement for less that $12.

Maybe this one for a substitute? https://www.ledlight.com/9-led-light.aspx
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

Make sure the buttons are working too as I've seen several flimsy ones. Continuity with a meter should do.

Any testing method you can share? These are the first 12v breaker buttons I've ever encountered

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACDNate wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
12 volt circuits will have fuses NOT breakers. Breakers will all be 120VAC
Find your fuse panel. Check all fuses with an ohm meter.
Go to the first light fixture closest to the switch. Assuming the switch has power on the on side.
Take the fixture down and look. The wiring will be daisy chained and quite possibly a wife nit has come loose or a wire has pulled out killing the lights.

This coach has 12v push button "breakers" in a panel next to the 120v regular breakers. The chasis 12v system has both traditional fuses/relays in one panel and then more push button breakers.

Make sure the buttons are working too as I've seen several flimsy ones. Continuity with a meter should do.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Very helpful.

RE#2 If you get a chance can you snap a pic of what your bulbs look like? It's the ceiling lights that look like this with the trim on.

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Journey, so checked my light bulbs.

I don't have anything like you show in #2. I wonder if that's just something someone stuck in there.

My reading lights all have a bulb like you show in #3. #1383 like this:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/lighting/light-bulbs/12v-light-bulbs_55-8107

Here's the LED replacement:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/lighting/light-bulbs/12-volt-led-bulbs_55-1076

The wall sconces and light over the dinette have this:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/lighting/light-bulbs/12-volt-light-bulbs_55-9951

Hope that helps.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding the corian, take it to a shop and have them do it. I broke the sink cover and took it to a local guy and he fixed it on his lunch break. Only cost a few buck and you could not tell it had been repaired. It was still in good shape when I sold the coach 12 years later.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Go to the first light fixture closest to the switch. Assuming the switch has power on the on side.
Take the fixture down and look. The wiring will be daisy chained and quite possibly a wife nit has come loose or a wire has pulled out killing the lights.

This coach has 12v push button "breakers" in a panel next to the 120v regular breakers. The chasis 12v system has both traditional fuses/relays in one panel and then more push button breakers.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
The bulbs should have a number on them. There are web sites that sell LED bulbs. They all have pictures and descriptions so you should be able to find them.
As for the Broken Corion, hire a professional. There is a special adhesive that they use. D9ne right the repair will nearly be invisible and last for ever. DIY you likely could wind up with a horrible looking mess.

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Yes two slides.

The ceiling lights are on their own switch at the control panels. They don't have individual switches like a lot of the reading lights do.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the RV have SLIDE outs?

On my Class A there are 3 slides. and a few "Special" lights.

With the exception of a couple of down lights on the wardrobe EVERY light fixture in teh RV has a light switch, intergrated into the fixture

But of the 3 lights in the Main Bath. 2 that's the only switch the 3rd also has a wall switch

The light in the bedroom Likewise has a wall switch
Two lights in the living room. have a 3-way "Master" switch one in the hall one just inside the door where you can accidently flip it. This also contreols the light over the steps inside (So you can turn the light on locally then off when you go out for trhe evening, and back on BEFORE entering the RV(

And the main Dash light also has a second switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times