cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip planning /mapping sites...... recommendations

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hoping to start using my RV for more traveling and wanted a software/map system that's easy to plot out of route and find campgrounds. I'm sure I can google some but usually got great responses from my RV.NET friends (still not a fan of this new Good/Bad Sams un-grade 😞  ). 

Let see what happens, and how long it happens on this site. Thanks in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10

femmestar
Explorer
Explorer

I too am an RV Life Trip Wizard user.  

2018 Coachman Precision Pursuit 29SS Class A

Rics
Explorer
Explorer

RVLife, the best there is. Although you can use your phone or table for the gps while traveling, I prefer a Garmin RV770, although it's a few years old.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

As at least one other response mentioned, planning is half the fun!

I use RV LIFE Trip Wizard and find it more useful than the Good Sams planner.  The GS planner is good, but the additional features, POIs, pictures, reviews, etc, centrally located in RV LIFE make it worth the subscription fee.  The only issue I have with RV LIFE is that it's built in navigation functionality does not work with Google Auto, so I get forced to output the generic format which doesn't follow the exact route in all cases.  It hasn't been problematic yet, but I am waiting for the time I find a low bridge or exceed weight limits...

I also use Big Rigs Best Bets as a companion to get accurate feedback on if a 45' coach actually fits, and in which sites.  

Pappy54
Explorer
Explorer

I like the good Sam trip planner

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III

We use RV Life, which is actually a suite of websites and apps. We like the offline functions.

https://roadtrippers.com/  is also very popular and similarly a suite of tools.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad

For me planning the trip is all most as much fun as taking the trip. I used to use an very old trip planner put out by GS in CD formate. It was very user friendly and served the purpose. I have since moved on the RV Life Trip Wizard. This is put out by the folks who manage (to me) the best RV campground reviews out there. 

My steps once I have found the destination is to hit Google maps for cities around the area. I then go to rv parks and reviews for campgrounds around the cities I am looking for. Once done with that I go to RV life trip wizard and fill in the blanks. For me there was a large learning curve to trip wizard, but once figured out it was great to use. It has really eliminated my step of using parks and reviews as its built into the system.

All the mentioned items are part of irv2 site banner

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

I use the trip planner at freecampsites.net

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GAZiggy
Explorer II
Explorer II

We will al have our ways and it might depend on how you travel. I put my RV in a place by the month as it keeps the price down. You might want certain amenities, so I look for full hook up with 50-amp and near a city so usually the cell service is good for remote work.  I decide where I will be going for the season and usually use Google Maps looking for RV campground. I just tried RV Life and found one I didn't know about as well as Campspot with different results. Do what you are comfortable with. 

To make the drive I use a Garman 8" GPS with my specs in it to avoid low bridges or weight. 

Happy Trails!

Dave

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390 FL Class A Cummins
2015 Chevy Equinox Toad

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III

We've been using RV Life Trip Wizard.  It is not free but have found it pretty easy to use. 

2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad

I use Google maps to scout possivle routes, distances, etc. and then mine info on CGs from multiple sources (RV Life, Dyrt, Campspot, etc). It's definitely not a single, turnkey approach, but it works and the price is right.

2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd