cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer switch

becker
Explorer
Explorer
Once again I reach out to my peers..... I have an 2008 Monaco Dynasty Motorhome.... when I run the generator everything works fine, but when I plug it in to "shore power" nothing happens (no electricity)..... usually there is a "thump" when I turn on the "shore power" (50 amp) signifying the transfer of power from the generator, but now no sound and no electricity. Batteries are in good shape. Has anyone had this problem and is there anything I can do short of taking it to a shop..... and if I have to take it to a shop, where in the Houston, Texas area would be the best place to take it? Thank you for your input, I need it.

becker
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, some coaches have devices ahead of the ATS to verify proper shore power.

And, were this device to either be a problem itself OR to deny power to the coach, the check for power IN from shore power at the ATS would reveal a problem "upstream" of the ATS.

Could be a bad CG outlet.
Could be bad power at CG outlet.
Could be problem with the shore power cord.
Could be problem with connection of shore power cord to coach.
Could be problem with a "power monitoring device".

I just find the ATS to be a convenient place to start after a quick visual of the above.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Times 2 what Rgatijnet1 said. We just experienced this yesterday at the park we are in, and had to move over one spot. The 50 amp would not go through the switch to the coach. It will detect things like low voltage on one leg or a loose ground in the power pedestal. Also, I agree with what someone else said in not running the generator while plugged in or vice versa. In the time we have owned this coach, we have encountered this problem 3 other times. One was a loose ground in the pedestal and another was a leg low on voltage. The other time, the park chose not to investigate it till after we left. Another rig with a different transfer switch may power up fine where yours would not, that also has happened to us. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Wolf10. In addition we never use shore power when running the generator. Why test the ATS!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

bbeezzz
Explorer
Explorer
The relay connected to shore power fried on our 2015 Itasca Sunstar due to loose screws on the incoming line. This was a recall by Winnebago, so we had it repaired at the WBG dealer. The entire transfer switch was replaced do to the possibility of the terminal screws getting loose over time/miles. I assume there was a design change on the relay terminal fasteners. We found out about the recall on the Winnie forum.
Checking the terminal screws on a regular basis may have prevent this issue. Just remember to unplug from shore power and make sure the jenny is off before checking the transfer switch. Something I will now do regularly.

dramsey1
Explorer
Explorer
The transfer switch was the first warranty repair on my 2015 Itasca when it was new. One or more wires was not tightened enough at the factory causing wires to come loose and touch. The insulation burned off two wires and smoked up part of the campground. The generator supplied power but no power when plugged in. The dealer replaced the switch and all has been well since. Be careful since the generator power also runs through this (possibly damaged) switch. Might be best to shut the whole thing down and let a qualified dealer handle this one unless you have electrical training. Just a suggestion.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, check both ends of your incoming cord to make sure everything is tight and in order. I also had to change out a transfer switch. You can do it yourself and save some bucks. Open up the case and observe if the switch is throwing power to the bus when plugged in to shore power.

Get the number off the bad switch and order a new one. They are not hard to change out.

Hope this helps. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Monaco I have an automatic surge protector that will not activate the transfer switch if the incoming power is not correct as far as polarity, properly grounded, correct voltage and frequency.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
IF, repeat IF you are safe working around 240 VAC, you can easily check the ATS:

With generator off, shore power disconnected, remove the top/lid of the ATS:

There will be three sets of wires into it-- from generator, from shore power and to coach main AC breaker box. Each of these has 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground.

Plug in/turn on shore power.

Check for power on both the IN from shore power side and on the OUT to breaker box side.

That will tell you exactly what you have/don't have.

NOTE: If, when you remove the lid you see burned wires, stop and determine if the wires can be cleaned and good connection made or if they have damaged the ATS itself.

If any of this is not fully understood and/or you are not safe working around 240 VAC, have someone qualified with this set up do the troubleshooting.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
There are relays in the Transfer Switch that activate to direct the power from the generator or the pedestal.
I had to replace mine last year because the connections on one relay loosened over time miles. This caused heat which eventually burned through a wire. I lost all power. You might take the cover off the Transfer Switch and examine for loose screw(s) or burned wiring. I used a wire brush to clean the connection to the relay, crimped a new spade connector on the burned wire and put it back where it belonged. That restored shore power, but the relay itself was toast, so it would not switch to generator power. I eventually had the Transfer switch replaced. Make sure you disconnect shore power before attempting.

Mike