cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Class C

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a purchase of a Class C motorhome. While I have owned many motorhomes, never a Class C. I would be towing a 5000 lb boat with it. My question is will it tow the boat reasonably well? Also, how large a coach would be advisable? Or should I consider something with a diesel?
10 REPLIES 10

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally tow my 4500 lb Saturn behind our E350 Ford 10, MH has a 5000 lb hitch, it pulls fine but I know its back there.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
It is always easier on any rig if you are not maxing the tow capacity.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All Forest River E450 motorhomes have a 7500# hitch, and Thor includes a 8,000# hitch.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
Only Jayco's E-450 based class C's have a tow rating of 7,500 lbs. Check it out at jaycorv.com
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Longer Class C's can be close to weight limit without towing anything - be cautious about what you buy as it's not just about the engine.
Kevin

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input guys.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at my owners book for weights and limits. Mine's a 1998 26' on an E450 superduty ford chassis. Max tow weight is 3500lbs with a max tongue weight of 300 lbs. Combined gross vehicle weight is 20,000 lbs with max vehicle weight of 14500lbs. In comparison, my E350 passenger van is rated for a 10,000 lb trailer with 1000 lb tongue weight. Both vehicles have the same engine ford gas v-10 (although the mh has the banks power pack system)
The van didn't have a problem pulling a 9000lb travel trailer over the mountains.
Not sure I'd want to try and launch a boat with the mh. depending on the steepness of the boat ramp, you might have half the back end stuck in the water before you can get the boat to float. Or unless you're really good, trying to back an empty trailer straight down the ramp when you can't see it. Front hitch might work if you have enough room on the ramp to turn around.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the Ford (or likely the Chevy equivalent) should do fine in general. The Ford V10 is a relatively high-strung truck engine, and it will be running at what may sound like absurdly high rpm's when under heavy load, but it's designed to operate that way.

Do take care to watch the hitch ratings, including the tongue weight (which is sometimes relatively low on class C motorhomes). Also pay attention to make sure the rear axle doesn't get overloaded due to the long overhang between it and the trailer hitch.

For launching the boat, it may be well worth considering having a front hitch installed so you can nose the trailer to the water instead of trying to back it down, especially with the long overhang in the back. Maneuvering in general around boat ramps will be somewhat of a chore, if only because the turning radius of a class C motorhome, at least one based on the Ford van chassis, is pretty abysmal.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Check C towing maximums. Many are 5K.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
A Ford V10 would do fine.

Unless you go with a Super C, a diesel would be underpowered and might not enough have enough GCWR.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST