cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toilet tank water

tucsontina
Explorer
Explorer
New to the RV world and would like to know if I need to keep water in the tank when RV not in use? It was not holding water so replaced the seal and now 1 year later not holding water again. It does when I go to put some in to use it. However I thought I should keep water in the tank even when not in use and now again leaks out. Used grease etc and seal doesn't look dry or cracked plus only one year old? So thinking I am not supposed to keep water in there? Not sure what to do or think.
7 REPLIES 7

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gently clean around and under the seal with a toothbrush....not yours..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tank=bowl?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use anything with a petroleum base. We clean our seal and put olive oil in for any long term non-use.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

tucsontina
Explorer
Explorer
OK I guess I need to see why they keep leaking and the tank won't hold water. I keep it cleaned no crud on the seal I have used lubricant. I just replaced the seal less than a year ago and the tank is leaking again already. No sure what the casing around the valve is I will google that. Thanks for the help

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep water/liquid in the toilet bowl to help prevent the seals from drying out - during the winter I use antifreeze.
Kevin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely, your seal has crud stuck to it. You should keep the slide valves and rubber seals wet. Keep a gallon or two in the tanks so the water will fill around the neck of the outlet. In winter, drain all water and flush all contents .... all,,, then pour some TV antifreeze down. This keeps them wet over the winter.

If they are leaking, try some valve slide lubricant sold at Wall Mart or your local RV dealer. Put some in the toilet or down the sink. Then work the slide valves back and forth.

Other possible cause of this does not work, the casing around the valve could be cracked.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had that same issue with plastic toilets when I allowed the gate to close too softly . When I let it slightly snap closed , it solved the problem allowing it to seal itself to hold water. During winter storage it's usually dry and I've never had any issues.