cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor ACE vs Forest River FR3

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pulling trailers for 25 years and am now considering moving to a MH. I'm looking for opinions on two entry-level units, the Thor ACE and the Forest River FR3. Both units have things we really like, so we want to get the most bang for our buck. I also want to have something that will not spend most of it's time in the shop. All thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both, but ended up with a Winnebago Vista with the exact same floorplan as the ACE but much better storage.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Effy wrote:
We are on our second ACE and I have nothing but good things to say. We've had very little issues, it rides very nice for an entry level class A, no major failures, and Thor has been one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

Frankly I scratch my head at a lot of the brand bashing that goes on around here. I think you usually hear bad things about Thor from folks who have never owned one. The full wall Schwintek slides were a black eye, but they aren't thor specific. Every brand that used them had issues.

As far as comparison, I can't say much about the FR3 as I've never owned one. I think at this price point you are likely splitting hairs on differences.

Didn't your Ace #1 go back because no one could get the slideout to work?

It's been a few years, my memory could be failing. 🙂

No idea what you are talking about. We sold it privately and everything worked fine. You may be confusing me with 93mastercraft who had issues with a full wall Palazzo. Entirely different animal.

The only reason we sold ours was a change in floorplan we liked better. Other than that we loved it.
2013 ACE 29.2

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
Thor has stepped up its game in opinion. With the acquisition of Jayco/Entegra, those owners have demanded it.
FR is still FR.
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Get the one that comes with 2 AC units in case one breaks on a trip, and to provide xtra capacity. I think the 30 ft FR3 now has a second unit as an option.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
We are on our second ACE and I have nothing but good things to say. We've had very little issues, it rides very nice for an entry level class A, no major failures, and Thor has been one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

Frankly I scratch my head at a lot of the brand bashing that goes on around here. I think you usually hear bad things about Thor from folks who have never owned one. The full wall Schwintek slides were a black eye, but they aren't thor specific. Every brand that used them had issues.

As far as comparison, I can't say much about the FR3 as I've never owned one. I think at this price point you are likely splitting hairs on differences.

Didn't your Ace #1 go back because no one could get the slideout to work?

It's been a few years, my memory could be failing. 🙂
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
My MIL has a 2015 FR3 30DS and just loves it. Flooring is very pet friendly and everything worked from the get go. I think she had a few squeaks and small issues back to the dealer for warranty work. My only comment is that it only has one A/C unit and for a 30 footer it could be a bigger unit to cool better.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Effy
Explorer
Explorer

2013 ACE 29.2

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
If those are the only two options, I'd go with Forest River.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K