Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of "Full Time" with your help

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello folks.

This is my first post so be gentle...

I’ve read many posts on different forums on a great deal of issues and hope I’ve learned enough to not ask too many dumb questions. Now there are some of you who will say “there is no such thing as a dumb question” and more times than not are the same ones who will say “hey this guys a real dummy”! 🙂

I’ve been reading all kinds of information about Full-time RVing, Gas vs Diesel Pusher, Motorhome living, Full-time RVing, Motorhome slide-outs etc.

I’ve looked at a number of manufacturers websites to familiarize myself with the brand and learn as I go about different coaches. So far I’ve looked at the following...

• American Coach: - Revolution - Tradition
• Fleetwood: Providence
• Itaska: Ellipse - Meridian
• Monaco: Diplomat - Dynasty
• Newmar: Dutchstar
• Thor: Tuscany
• Tiffin: AllegroBus - Pheaton - Zephyr

We will purchase a 43 to 45 foot DP (the 45 is preferred) and will pull a Toad. I’m not against a used coach and plan to look at used Prevost’s. I’ll not limit our used coach search to Prevost, I just know it’s one of the top of the line buses!

My wife and I are retired and intend to sell our home and become full timers. We’ll spend most of our time in the west between Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana for the spring and summer and Florida/Arizona in the Fall and winter.

We plan to drive around 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year, going to a set location and stay there 4 to 6 weeks. We’ll spend over half our time with family and friends hooked up to their power. The other half of the time between RV parks, WallMart as we travel and some boon-docking on BLM and National parks.

I remember when I was 2 weeks into Ranger training when our drill instructor said “you guys know just enough to get yourself killed”. That’s how I feel with RVing... I know just enough to get myself in trouble. But I can tell you I read a lot and do not ask a professional, someone who has been there, and then ignore their recommendations!

Any pearls of wisdom you would like to share I would love to hear! And remember “there is no such thing as a dumb answer” so be careful less I say “hey this guys a real dummy”! 🙂

Thank you,

Harry
79 REPLIES 79

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
I found a great new source of information from NADA. As someone new to all that is motorhomes its great to be able to select a name like Newmar and see all the years and models. And of course it shows the MSRP and two prices showing what the coach should be bought for.

I know you guys know all about it but it was a big help to me...

Harry

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Chandelier would be fine as long and it's plastic!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
No fine china wow... What about the big chandelier in our entry hall, that would be OK right? 🙂

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet the reason you didn't hear background noise in that video is because they were using good sound equipment to make that video. There is going to be some noise in most motorhomes. I would imagine the higher the quality of the motorhome, the less noise. On dished rattling, I'm a firm believer in plastic dishes. I think my wife has some glasses made from real glass, but most of our stuff is plastic.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Msmith1199 ,

That makes perfect sense that they would have primary access while you're moving. I thought I read something somewhere that indicated that may not be the case and is why I asked the question!

I was recently watching the video that someone posted showing Earnest Borgnine driving his Prevost bus. I couldn't help but notice that there was no background noise from the motorhome. No dishes rattling, no cabinets squeaking or obvious noise of any kind. I also noticed that his bus had no slides... Is the quiet aspect true of most coaches?

Harry

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman, I have never seen a Class A motorhome yet where the slides blocked anything important while closed. Back a few pages there was a link to some motorhome floor plans. You can tell in the motorhomes that had the rear bathroom, you would have to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom with the slides closed. But in all those rear bath motorhomes there was a half bath in front of the bedroom. I have never seen a slide block the fridge in anything other than a 5th wheel. The guys that make the Class A motorhome know that they are used different than trailers so they make sure you have access to the important stuff while the RV is on the road. You may get some cabinets and drawers blocked, but not important stuff.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi 2gypsies, rolling rhoda and J-Rooster... Sounds like a trifecta to me! They take motorhomes to horse races right?

Thanks for the info on the soundproofing, the answer is about what I expected, especially with the slides out.

Access to the bedroom, bathroom, refrig and seating, other than just the passenger seat while underway would be important. Is there anything in a brochure or specification sheet that would tell me this? If not is there a way to find out without seeing the righ?

I was just talking to a friend of mine who has a 1999 Newmar Duchstar 34’ that he’s been very happy with. He told me yesterday it only has 26,000 miles on it. He’s moving into a cabin soon and tells me he’s going to sell it so he can pay cash for a 4 wheeler and a couple other toys he wants. He has nothing but good things to say about he Newmar brand!

As always, I thank you for such excellent help,

Harry

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman wrote:
Thanks J-Rooster,

One thing maybe you can help me with. What do the 6 rear wheels do for the motorhome that the 4 don't? Better stability, more weight?

Thanks again,

Harry
Harry, they carry the weight of a coach better! Your right on the mark!

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Not a full-timer but here's my two bits. My previous 40' diesel was not a tag and it drove very well, meeting semi's on the highway with no swaying. Gusty winds hitting us sidelong did move us around. I find it's less of an issue with the tag, which works for me here in the windy Prairie.

Next, you asked about soundproofing. Regardless of insulation, there are still many poor sound barriers in an RV: slide edges, ceiling fans, skylights, heck, even the windshield. RV neighbors might be several feet closer than they would be to your house, and they hang out outdoors instead of inside. In an RV you're exposed -- you're up on tires, not anchored to the earth, and there's no attic above the ceiling to deaden some of the noise when it rains. It takes a little getting used to. A campground adjacent to a railroad track is a special experience. :B

Enjoy planning!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of other things about Newmar...they've been in business a long time. It's a very stable small company. They don't mass produce for dealer's lots.

They're pretty much made to order. If buying new you can make many changes as long as they're not structural. When we bought in 2004 we went to their factory for a tour and then sat down with a sales rep and went over changes we would like made. We then took our list and sent them out to about 20 dealers throughout the country. As full-timers, we didn't care where we bought and knew we probably would not return to the same dealer for any repairs, etc., and we didn't. As it turned out we had just a handful of 'new motorhome' issues to deal with and we took it to our nearest dealer at the time and they got right on it.

When the dealers got back to us, we knew they were all bidding on the very same specs and we went with the cheapest bid. It was very easy to do - at that time. Perhaps it's different nowdays.

We chose Newmar at that time just by talking to other Newmar owners in campgrounds and getting their feel on their units. We honestly did not get any bad reports as we did with other manufacturers. We previously had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel which was high quality at the time. That tiny company is no longer in business but some of their employees went to Newmar. Newmar was also the pioneer in offering slideouts way back when. By the way, we wouldn't be able to afford a new Dutch Star nowdays. 🙂 It's almost triple! We'd look for a used one.

So whenever you see motorhomes that you might be interested in, stop and chat with the owner. They love to talk about what they have. Also, take some factory tours if you can. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey 2gypsies,

Yes, I really like the Newmar Dutchstar and Mountain Aire, especially the Mountain Aire! I also like that it has a Cummins engine and the Freightliner Tag Axle XCR Chassis. I was taking a close look at the Monico Dynasty but I'm not sure about the MaxxForce engine they use?

Another thing I like about Newmar is they only build motorhomes and I think thats important! Its like Coke, Coke makes Coke, thats all they do and they are very-very good at it.

Thanks for the shout, you guys have really been a great help to me...

Harry

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Some to look at for starters: Newmar (prejudiced); Country Coach; Beaver

Many mfg. use the same components, i.e. furnaces, air conditioners, toilets, etc. The inside carpentry can give you a hint of quality. Look at the fit of the doors, trim, cabinets, drawers. If you're full-timing you want something that can withstand constant daily use. Carpeting you can always change out or replace with a solid floor. You can easily change furniture and window coverings, if needed, so if looking at used overlook the cosmetic issues and zero in on the build.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry OhhWell,

I didn't realize I had stepped over the question line but accept that I may have. I can only offer my apologies... I used to be indecisive, now I'm just not sure!

My thanks to everyone for your help,

Harry

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dude, I'm pretty sure people have given answers to your question many times over. It's time to hit the pavement and start looking at coaches. I don't know how it is this time of year but if you can find an RV show, you can't get an easier way to check them all out.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53