cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of a Class C

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
We have had trailers for many years, and are thinking of going to a Class C. Current rig is a Jayco Eagle 321RLTS 5th wheel. I see many brands of Class C units, are there ones that should be avoided? Seems Thor's are much cheaper than others. Ford E450 seems to be the preferred platform, anything specific to look out for? Many questions I know. I am comfortable with checking out a unit and know many of the things that are important, but not sure about the motorized part.. Is there a better time of year to buy?

TIA
23 REPLIES 23

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that LOL, old bad knees. Reason I don't want a corner bed. Wife would not be happy. 6'1" and shrinking.. Looking at Leprechaun now, also a Winne. Jayco als has some that look good. Depends on condition.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two TT, one class A and now two class C motorhomes.

The first class C was on a Ford E350. This one is on a Chevy 4500. The stock Chevy 4500 does not get moved by big rigs passing. Crosswinds have to get into the 40mph range before you need two hands on the wheel.

Both class Cs had & have lots of storage inside & out. All the essentials from the class A fit into the class C.

My current Class C has a great floorplan for two. Even with the slide in that I almost never use. It has a 60x80 bed. The bed is offset so there is lots of walking room on one side. The larger of the two corner walk into showers was used. A four foot kitchen counter. A sofa bed with a dinette across on the curb side. Good insulation for when it is hot or cold. Most, if not all, interior panel seems are caulked. Lots of storage behind the entertainment center in the short cab over.

I really like the ability to get from the driverโ€™s seat back into the house with no fuss. I have size 13 shoes and old legs.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
After test driving 3 different brands of Class C's, we went with a Minnie Winnie w the Ford E450. Love the build quality, V10 power is amazing, 6 speed trans is giving us a full 2mpg improvement over our older model with same engine. It's a pleasure to drive and camp in.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of good suggestions so far.First off look for a floor plan you can live with. When I was looking for my next RV I had a few things that I wanted and did not.

I wanted to stay under 30ft so I could park at home and also be able to get into most everywhere that I wanted to go to. The one I ended up with was a Tioga 26Q. It measures out at about 27 ft. I have not yet found a place yet that it would not fit,it does take up 2 parking spaces in a lot with room on each end,all the national and state parks that I have been to it has fit.

The things I wanted was a fixed rear bed,I do not want to climb up into a cab over or have a jackknife sofa that made into a bed,had one in my last RV, they are terrible to sleep on and have to be made up each morning to have your RV back,also did not want a corner bed,they are hard to make and very hard to get into and out of.

I also did not want any slides,they add weight and cut into your carrying capacity,also they may or may not have problems but it was one less thing that I had to worry about.

As I said I got what I wanted with the fixed rear walk around on 2 sides bed,large storage area and a size that fit all my needs.

I would also suggest if you can get one that you like on a Chevy Chassis that would be a plus.

I did end up with what I wanted after a long and exhaustive search,it may be a Former Rental but I am happy with my choice as more than 100 other owners are.

Good Luck in your search for that RV that will fit all your needs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Onan generators last many hours if cared for and used regularly (thousands of hours). Most RV generator problems come from lack of regular use as much as anything. If it starts readily and runs well (under load) and the oil has been changed on a reasonable schedule, I wouldn't be concerned about the generator.

I would avoid a propane generator if you think you'll be using it much at all.

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info, thank you all. Didn't think of the rear overhang, could be an issue depending on the location. I'm pretty well versed in RV isues, they all have them, no matter the type or class. Next couple of months will tell. Thinking of one 5 to 6 years old that was taken care of. Not like a 5th wheel, maintainance records would be a must. Generators are another issue, what is a lot of hours? How long do they last when cared for?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Stick with a "newer" model E450, one with the V10 engine.

Retired48
Explorer
Explorer
Have also had travel trailers.
Just bought a 2014 Forester 3011ds with 6,800 miles with no issues. This class c has plenty of both inside storage and out, a kitchen with nice counter space, double door frig., pull out couch, u shaped dinet, and hydraulic leveling. Itโ€™s perfect for the 2 of us.
Buying used saved us a lot of money and being 5 years old the previous owner had taken all the bugs out which were hardly any...I talked to previous owner.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
When looking for my used motorhome, along with personal vehicles, I buy new from a dealer and used from the owner. My C now was from the original owner and I flew from Ca to Mn to pick it up.

Oftentimes a dealer purchases units from auctions. Having no history of maintenance you are throwing the dice. Many times they are re-possessed. if a person cannot afford the payment they surely could not afford regular maintenance.

Service records, i walk away if they are not available.

5 or 6 speed, most drivers could not tell the difference. My coach has 5,my truck 6 and my Jeep 8 . All deliver as expected.

Leaks and water intrusion. Overhead bunks leak, maybe not now but eventually. My Cambria has the sleek entertainment set up in the front.

When you find one, pay an experienced RV mechanic to look at it. A few dollars spent now can save you tons when you drive down the street.
Take your time, thousands of units out there. Travel if needed.
Self insure, extended warranties benefit the seller of the item, not the buyer. Ford V-10's are highly reliable and strong along with their transmissions. 300K miles is nothing to either one.

Enjoy your search and see you on the road......

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is key when it comes to used RV's. You can tell alot by speaking with the owner, and looking at the small things. Decals faded? are there any hack job repairs visible? Is the owner knowledgeable about RV stuff? Look under the unit for rust. Many RV's only get 3-4k miles per year in the summer, and otherwise sit. If you can find one of the queens you can get a good deal on a nice motorhome that will last as long as something bought new.

Age? I dunno. Sounds like you are looking at new enough units for it not to matter. The 6 spd is a bit better than the 5 spd, but not significantly so.
I have the old 4 speed and it does great.

It's really all about individual unit condition.

I personally ruled out Coachman, but I was looking at much older units (2003-2005 range). Winnie's are nice, but I saw some beat ones too, so you never know. ANY signs of water leaks or delam, walk away.

I ended up with a Fleetwood, and it's a good rig. Mid level quality, rubber roof, but all the appliances and stuff are pretty much the same on all manufacturers. Mine was barn stored and in good shape with a new roof, new tires and new batteries, I was able to buy it from the acutal owner instead of a dealer so I got to speak with them in person about the rig instead of just a blind inspection.

We went from TT to class C and absolutely love it. No toad takes a little adjusting to, but we've been fine. And the family loves being able to use the house while in motion.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
In 40+ years we've had pop-ups, hybrid trailer, small 5th wheel. 7 years ago we purchased a 10 year old Winnebago 31 ft. Class C and still are enjoying it. The MH is my top choice for many reasons; easy backing, onboard generator, good sized tanks and easiest set up and take down. But they all have +s and -s. The MH doesn't drive as nicely as a truck. For us we need a car to drive and towing one is no picnic. As far as money, I think you can set any price over $20000 or so and get a decent used one. Personally, I'll stick with Winnebago but with a used one, condition and service history might be as important.
Jayco-noslide

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned every type of rv on the market. Each has their own pros/cons. This is what I discovered.

Before you sell your rig. Rent a class c before you buy one. It will be money well spent.
Please don't be discouraged by my list of negatives, I just don't like people being surprised after dropping $70-$140k on a 'C' after giving up something they liked. Remember you need to earn 2x that amount in order to spend that amount.

Think about towing or not towing car behind you. Research flat vs dolly towing, only certain model cars can be flat towed, all 4 wheels on the ground. Could be $3k to set up a towing system. Coming from a trailer, you'll be giving up a vehicle to explore and sightsee.
You might not like the way the 'C' rides or handles, especially coming from a fiver which is a solid tow. Many owners have to spend a few thousand in aftermarket parts to find a comfortable ride. The longer rv body on a short wheelbase can react to crosswinds and big rig bow waves. Some gas powered A's have those issues as well. I never had to deal with that with any trailer once I set up the hitch properly.

You have to watch the rear overhang on certain 'C' floorplans because the rear can scrape . That's why some of the rears angle up.
Therefore if you have a steep driveway apron you better check into the clearance before you buy.
Some add air bags to help with clearance but keep in mind AB's are designed to bring a loaded sagging rear back up to normal ride height. If you already sit level an AB will only offer you approx an inch more height, depending on the configuration. Changing the tire size could give you a additional 1/2" and that combination might just be enough that some owners need for clearance.

MH's are going to be more noisy than towing because you are riding inside the same cabin as your pots/pans and whatever decides it wants to rattle. What's not making noise today might make noise tomorrow.

If your pickup is a top of line model , the class c cab might be bare bones without the bells n whistles. If you like those comforts, then make sure you have them when you make your choice.
Remember the bigger you go and the bigger the slides the closer you have to monitor your payload. The 450's are 14,500.

With all the negatives, I would still prefer to own a 'C' or a 'B' because I use my rv for day trips all year round. They fit my style so I deal with it.

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
The 5th wheel is a bit of a pain, backing in and parking level. Also when visiting family I have to go about an hour away to find a decent park. 2014 chevy 2500HD 4X4 LTZ with 38K.. Trailer is payed for as well. Retiring soon, and may travel much more. Probably best to stick with what I have, it is proven. But the Jayco at 2011 is at the sell by date. Either sell it now or keep it till the junk yard.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
We considered moving to a C from 5th wheels, but for now we just don't travel enough. Just don't like having a vehicle sit that much.
We have looked at several. One thing that stuck us was a smaller good floor plan beats a big bad floor plan. There were 2 in particular we looked at. A 26 with a good floorplan and a 31 with a bad one. The 26 felt much bigger.

We'll keep looking and make the move to a C one day. Not really interested in a Class A. Maybe I'm wrong on this but the C has a chassis and drive train that you could find service for much easier than a Class A.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE