cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The wide world of steering stabilizers

Metabo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have or use the following steering stabilizer BLUE OX 35" TRUCENTER RV STEERING CONTROL - TC35162. this steering stabilizer interest me because it is adjustable from the driver's position while driving.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
\
The whole idea behind the true center is that it is adjustable on the fly.
Every time you turn engine off it re centers. It is possible to push the switch dozens of tines a day.

No the center adjustment does not "re-center" when you turn the engine off the only way to Re-center it is to push the button

the adjustment is "Unlocked" by an electric solenoid

Fuse---_Switch---Solenoid--Ground

Engine plays no part Save I usually re-center while driving.. (Once I did the the first time I'm ready when I push the button now).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

The other one I recommend is the Safe-T-Steer with the OPTIONAL Remote adjustment device..

What is the name of Safe-T-Steer's optional remote adjustment device? I can never re-find it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one and have had to adjust it a few times while driving. No big deal as long as you realize that when you push the button the stabilizer disconnects and you then have to use the steering wheel and the power steering to compensate for any road crowns, wind, etc.
I have never had it reset back to center when I turn the key off but I just have the standard dash switch that came with the True-center.
In fact I specifically remember parking for a few days after driving in some heavy cross winds. When we got on the road again, I had to hang on tight to keep the coach from turning until I reset the stabilizer.
I used a pointer to set mine up originally by driving straight down a flat road and marked where my steering wheel was in relation to my pointer. After I installed the Stabilizer, I lifted the front tires off of the ground with my leveling jacks and adjusted the stabilizer until the steering wheel was again lined up with the pointer that I taped to the dash. I did this just in case I ever had a failure with the True Center and I wanted it to revert back to a "neutral" setting. As it turned out I never had a failure.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Metabo wrote:
Does anyone have or use the following steering stabilizer BLUE OX 35" TRUCENTER RV STEERING CONTROL - TC35162. this steering stabilizer interest me because it is adjustable from the driver's position while driving.

Have had one 13 years. It does make a difference though you quickly forget about it.. I'ave had to "Adjust" it a few times.
Only caution.. They tell you do not adjust while driving

The whole idea behind the true center is that it is adjustable on the fly.
Every time you turn engine off it re centers. It is possible to push the switch dozens of tines a day.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Metabo wrote:

Have had one 13 years. It does make a difference though you quickly forget about it.. I'ave had to "Adjust" it a few times.

Only caution.. They tell you do not adjust while driving.

Well I did (of course) and you know those movies where the novice pilot turns off the auto pilot on an aircraft and dang near crashes before he gets it back to straight and level.... BELIEVE THEM.

IT was nearly that dramatic.. Oh I was in no danger of crashing but it sure made a difference.

The other one I recommend is the Safe-T-Steer with the OPTIONAL Remote adjustment device.. For the same reason I choose blue ox (Remote)

I"ve had to use it a few times over the years.. Not as often as the advertisement suggests but when it's needed. it is nice to be able to recenter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have one works great. I use mine with a foot switch. (Yellow wires)

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a similar Stabilizer, The Howard Power Center steering Control. It is both air and hydraulically operated and came standard in my Vogue...in other words, I didn't install it but in 15 years of my ownership, it's never failed to operate and you certainly can tell when it is active.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have one. I do not see much difference in normal driving. I purchased it to hopefully help in a front tire blowout.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star