cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tank gauges seldom work correctly!

moodier
Explorer
Explorer
The old days they always told us the gauges didn't work reliably because the probes in the tank got dirty! Now whats there excuse with my new one with the external senders nothing internal but they still can't be trusted!!I suppose todays story is that build up on the inside of the tank prevents proper reading??The RV store has rows of costly chemicals but do any of them work!Maybe I am the only one with this problem? Any hints will be appreciated
24 REPLIES 24

lBumster1
Explorer
Explorer
I had same problem and read somewhere to use Ridex. It solved my problem.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not exactly sure what Newmar is doing with their new sensors in the King Aire but they are very accurate and read in 1% increments.

I believe they are simply measuring the weight of the tank. It's hard to mess that up no matter how filthy the inner walls.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

moodier
Explorer
Explorer
OK!Having read the replies have a question!Sounds like should use an enzyeme product.The RV store has boxes of products that claim to do good on cleaning tanks so the gauges will work!Anyone have experience with some that actually work?Not interested in perfumes but clean tanks!!Sorry but I don't always believe what the mfg's say about there products!

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a problem on the holding tanks. I don't usually dump when leaving a CG. The drive home or to the next CG does a lot to keep sloshing around and breaking up the stuff in there. I don't usually get over concerned with full tanks because most of the weight just moved from the fresh tank to the holding tank and my coach does not have a weight problem.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
harley-dave wrote:
I have to say the grey and black sensors on my Itasca work perfectly and have for years. The only problem I have is on the fresh water tank, always says it's 2/3 full!!! I'm sure it's not because I always drain it down to 1/4 before rolling.. Any idea's on how that works...

Dave

Those lights can be calibrated. Not sure exactly what you have, but on my coach it has these LED lights on a panel. You can pull that panel off and calibrate it on the back of the gauges.

thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of that...
Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Do not use the blue stuff they sell at the RV stores. That does not clean out your tank, it just covers up the smell..........Keeps the tanks clean and the gauges work all the time. The enzymes breaks the solids up and by the time you dump it just flows out like water, very little smell.

But I also flush the tanks after I have dumped with the sprayer it has built into the tanks, which also helps keep them clean while in storage.

I think the problem IS all these new 'natural' tank chems are nothing more than just PERFUME.

The "orginal" RV Marine chems were designed to control odor,break down waste so it didn't clog and/or stick to the sides of a holding tank. And it won't gag you when you dump.Btw these are blue also.

I ran out one time and bought a packet from the CG store to tied me over till I left and OMG it filled the entire MH with the most gawd awful perfume smell! I had to dump the tanks three times and open all the windows. That is NOT what holding tank chems are designed for. They should work not just cover up with perfume.

Don't know about all of you but I don't like to be parked next to Rv'ers that don't use real holding tank chems and when they dump at that site and that stank comes inside my windows.

And I no longer will help Rv'ers that don't use holding tank chems. You open up that bay door to their sewage lines and it will knock you out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
I have to say the grey and black sensors on my Itasca work perfectly and have for years. The only problem I have is on the fresh water tank, always says it's 2/3 full!!! I'm sure it's not because I always drain it down to 1/4 before rolling.. Any idea's on how that works...

Dave

Those lights can be calibrated. Not sure exactly what you have, but on my coach it has these LED lights on a panel. You can pull that panel off and calibrate it on the back of the gauges.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Do not use the blue stuff they sell at the RV stores. That does not clean out your tank, it just covers up the smell. What I use is an enzyme type chemical and there are several. The one I use I order it through the internet is called Happy Camper. I found this stuff at a FMCA rally and have been using it now for many years and it works. Keeps the tanks clean and the gauges work all the time. The enzymes breaks the solids up and by the time you dump it just flows out like water, very little smell.

But I also flush the tanks after I have dumped with the sprayer it has built into the tanks, which also helps keep them clean while in storage.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
tweetys.com has 2 set of the horst miracle probes for the black tank. These sensors will work and solve your issues with false readings.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
when I got tired of my factory sensors not working I put the seelevel system on. It worked goot for a couple years then it to went to sh!t if you get my drift.

Fresh water sensor always worked fine.
My rigs has a macerating toilet, so solids and paper are not the problem.

I started using the geo method, water softener and dish soap and mentioned above. It took awhile, but the sensors started working again. Every 3rd or 4th dump, I put in some calgon and dawn to keep things right.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Get the See Level system and all those issues go away. Works well every time. Accurate, easy to install.

The guy next to me last winter had the SeaLevel system and when the black tank wall got bad enough it would quit indicating. The manual said that would happen if enough crud built up on the tank walls.
He hired a guy with a pressure washer/video camera system that went up through the dump valve to clean the tank. It worked after that for the rest of the winter.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

moodier
Explorer
Explorer
Hear reference to the probes understand the problem there but my 08 has the outside sensors thought that was to do away with the problem of fowled probes.I suppose the problem is still coating builds up on the inside of the tank that prevents the sensors from reading level?I did find a reliable method on last MH DRILLED HOLE IN TOP OF BLACK WATER TANK AND MARKED LEVELS ON A 1/4"dowl and just put it thru the hole and always get correct reading.Only truly reliable system I have found but not convenient to do on my new MH can hardly find the holding tanks!!HAve you found one of the numerous chemicals sold at RV stores to work to remove the build up on the inside of the tank if that is really what is causing our problem??

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Interestingly I read in the holding tank manual that just plain ole well water's will foul the sensors.

I periodically will pick up a bottle of thetford's sensor cleaners and add it to both tanks when I am filling them up with plain water after I dump. Let it sit for awhile. Then dump. Seems to fine tune them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272