cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swivel seat base in Chev 4500/Sunseeker 2250

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had posted on this previously, but cannot find the thread in the archives. It appears RV.net doesn't return results between a year old and 2013... D'oh!

So... Way back a few years ago I purchased a swivel seat base for our Sunseeker.

It was workable, but just barely. Swiveling meant opening the door, and in the rearward facing position, the armrest was crammed against the door armrest.

Not a good setup.

I reworked both the swivel and base:

and have a decently working setup. However, there was one annoyance that needed fixing - the seat was 1 3/4 inches higher than before, due to the thickness of the swivel plate.
To that end, I rebuilt the base by taking, you guessed it, 1 and 3/4 inches out of the height.

Here's the results:

with the swivel plate mounted:

I need to fill the holes that I used to clamp the upper and lower halves together for welding, and will probably use small carriage bolts. They are no longer needed, but would further enhance the strength of the base. My friend says I need to install Chroooome (Bop Bop DeBop Bop) bolts...

and for comparison, here's the driver's seat base:

I'll install the setup this afternoon, and all should be well. My lovely bride at 5'4" and our friend (who is about the same height) should be able to put their feet flat on the floor, as they did before the swivel seat mod.

More pictures of Seating Mods including more pics of the swivel base.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
12 REPLIES 12

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '15 Itasca on an E-450. It came with swivel bases on the cab seats. Thing is the cab floor is about 3-1/2" below coach floor, so when we are parked for the winter I raise those seats with some wide angle iron.

Dusty

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update:

Swivel seat mods continue!

On our Crater Lake trip, my wife noted the height was perfect, but noticed the seat would swing a bit side to side as I took various corners. Upon checking the slop of the latch at the back/top of the seat, I found it was moving almost an inch. Well, that'll never do...

Back in the shop to dust off my brazing skills...

Original latch:

Old latch removed, new latch fabricated:

Refined, set in place:

Full block rather than just a 5/16" wire:

Initial mounting & testing with spring:

Painted, mounted:

Fully latched:

Unlatched:

Now there's only a tiny bit of slop, and that's normal due to the additional moving parts in the swivel...

Now she'll be happy!!!!

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last time we were at an RV show, several units that featured swivel seating from the factory also provided a "booster" seat to accomplish just that - raise the seat base up a few inches. It was a upholstered firm cushion that attached to the seat, and was stored in the overhead. Seemed kinda corny, but it effective.

But I like your idea, the base should raise/lower depending on the use.
Perhaps a Power Base, with a swivel plate on top?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure wish some manufacturer would offer a Ford swivel base with adjustable height ... for us Class C owners with coach floors higher than the E350/E450 cab floors.

For these situations, the swiveled passenger seat needs to be raised up to match the height of the regular coach seating.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are 3 MFGs that make Ford seat bases.

Discount Van and Truck

Then there is Sportsmobile Now this one may be for most all Fords.

And the one that I got mine from Shop4Seats

I think it depends on the year model which one will fit.

You might look at This Video to help you along if you are doing on a Ford Chassis.

When the weather cools some I am going to try to do what Bruce did on his.:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Final results:

I painted the base again, this time in place after installation as GM's studs are white, and stand out in contrast to the black base:

In the normal travel position, the seat is now the correct height, but is shifted toward the center by an inch:

The only detriment to dropping the base is when the seat is facing the rear - it is now 1 3/4 inches lower.

But I like it. When we have a crowd, that tends to be my place to get out of the way. I prefer setting there anyway, so it has become "my spot"!

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Ron!

This is the swivel I ordered from Shop4Seats:
96 + GMC - Chevy Swivel Plate Factory Seat

They have Swivel Bases, but they look like they were designed in the 70's... yet they may just fit the bill. I haven't researched the dimensions to see if any would be a direct replacement.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Nice modification.

As others mentioned, I wonder if a "base with swivel" made at the proper height and offset, is available.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
CC38EL wrote:
My Google search for swivel bases was not fruitful. Where would you find them for a 2017 Express 4500?

It should be the same as the number as others, and I have shown in past posts. You will need to modify the plate, tho, as I did. It will work but it is not optimum. Yet, it's better than nothing. I do appreciate having the extra seat when we have 3 or 4 folks in the Sunseeker.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems to me there would be a market for a combo base & swivel for the passenger seat, tailored to fit two models - The Chevy 2004-present Express/Savanna vans as we have, and the Ford E series. I'd bet they'd sell pretty well.
The drivers seat is usually not workable in a swivel configration, tho some floorplans would allow a drivers seat to swivel. Problem is, the steering wheel gets in the way!

IAMICHABOD, it's pretty easy to offset the base and swivel to reduce/eliminate the interference with the door. All you need is a drill & bits to move the base and move the swivel on the base, and a hack saw to bevel off the corners of the swivel. A file helps to de-sharpen the edges.
It's a lot more work to shorten the base, but a good welding shop could do it in an afternoon.

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Google search for swivel bases was not fruitful. Where would you find them for a 2017 Express 4500?
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice Work!! Now if I just had the tools to do it I might just try that on mine. It is a pain to swivel without opening the door,that would be nice if I could fix that.

I did do a search also but all I could find is the one that you posted on the Forest River Forum other than that you did post on the thread I opened about aSwivel Seat back in 2012
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C