cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surgegard issue

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
after 13 years my 50 amp surge gard passed away. I received a replaceent and discovered that to connect it i have to step on the connection to secure it. The prongs on my power cord are not bent,it is the connections on the surge gard causing the issue. to disconnect same i have to pry it apart with a beefy screwdriver.
I realize a good contact is important but this is ridiculous. anyone had the same problem and any help appreciated.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.
12 REPLIES 12

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
uncle t wrote:
the brand on my surge guard is technology research. check it out on amazon it is 335.99 w/ free shipping. my original one lasted 13 years and only died because i dropped it once too often in those 13 years.

So from what I see there on Amazon, there is only a 1 year warranty similar to the Camco. So I assume you paid full price for the replacement.

In my mind, anything that costs that much should be repairable. I think I'll buy the Progressive unit that claims to have the same capabilities and a lifetime warranty for about the same price. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT50X-Portable-Protector/dp/B01N9MOY7B/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Chinese engineering. Learn to live with it.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
the brand on my surge guard is technology research. check it out on amazon it is 335.99 w/ free shipping. my original one lasted 13 years and only died because i dropped it once too often in those 13 years.
2020 Integra 36U

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
uncle t wrote:
d-

My surge guard is not by camco. bought it on amazon-free shipping.

What's the brand? Is "Southwire Surge Guard" the brand name? A camping friend had one that went bad so he gave it to another one of our camping friends who opened it and called Surge Guard for help but got none - he pitched it in the trash after that.

Was the replacement covered by their warranty? I've heard the Progressive warranty was lifetime but heard others say Surge Guard was not.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
d-

My surge guard is not by camco. bought it on amazon-free shipping.
2020 Integra 36U

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the dielectric grease! I highly recommend using it on all your electrical connection. I keep a tube in my electric bay and squeeze a little in the pedestal before plugging it. The stuff is remarkable at saving your connectors.

Uncle t, I'd be interested to know about how you went about acquiring a replacement for your surgegard. I had my Camco 50A surge protector let rainwater in and ruin it after 4 years of use. I emailed Camco asking about a repair facility to which they replied there were none and repair was not an option. They're only in the business to sell new ones. Then I heard that Progressive had a lifetime warranty. I'm in the market for a replacement and I can assure you it won't be from Camco.
Don Ford

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is very tight but no problem. Wife can't quite get them apart though. I would just leave mine on the cord except the hole is too small. I do put it on before, sometimes but just put it out the corner of that door , so we won't have top pull it and the cord apart, when we know we will just staying one night at the next stop. Nothing in the compartment any bugs or vermin can get too but if I think they might try it is unplugged and the cord through the hole first.

Bruce_Brown
You could put a small dab of dielectric grease on the prongs and see if it helps.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the above info...I sometimes have to step on mine also and it is about 13 years old so I'm thankful that its still a tight fit. I normally leave my connected to the cord.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fact you need to stomp it into submission is good. IF the plug goes in too easily odds are the contact will be poor and that can melt it down Seen it happen in fact.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
uncle t wrote:
after 13 years my 50 amp surge gard passed away. I received a replaceent and discovered that to connect it i have to step on the connection to secure it. The prongs on my power cord are not bent,it is the connections on the surge gard causing the issue. to disconnect same i have to pry it apart with a beefy screwdriver.
I realize a good contact is important but this is ridiculous. anyone had the same problem and any help appreciated.

They need to be tight and firm connections but something does not appear to be aligned correctly. Exchange it.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter that was extremely tight so I returned it.

You'd think they'd be able to get it right.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes