cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Door Gas Struts

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has to be on the site, but after many searches I can't seem to find it. I have a 2005 Pace Arrow, I need to replace some of the storage door shocks, but I can't figure what pound rating I should get. They come in anything from 20lb to 120lb. I certainly don't want to tear off the hinges by putting too strong on, or buying too light and have it continually fall on my head( I have that now)

The length is 15" with travel of 5 3/4", any ideas out there?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Alxcook wrote:
OK, I had to go with the 60lbs for the larger doors, just for reference. 40lb did nothing.

Thanks

Alxcook,
We have many compartment doors on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, that are held open by TWO, 100 lbs struts. Based on the connection points, and the leverage involved, yes, it takes considerably more pressure to hold many doors open simply because, the leverage at the short "fulcrum" (I'm fairly sure that's the correct word) point of support. Sure, you can hold your doors up with around maybe 15 lbs or less of lift. That's because you're lifting that door from the outer edge where you have way more leverage but, that's not where the points of lift are, on the doors.

If you want to test this theory, disconnect your struts, if you have two, like many do, and see how much lift you have to apply AT THOSE POINTS where the struts attach. You'll find you really, really have to exert a lot of pressure/lift, to actually lift and support that door.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I had to go with the 60lbs for the larger doors, just for reference. 40lb did nothing.

Thanks

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced mine. Measure the closed strut length from the mounting point to the other than measure it opened.
Go on Amazon and search for gas struts and find the measurements that match. About $12 a pair.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our Landau uses 20, 40, and 60 lb gas springs, depending on the size of the bin door.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
40 pound is very common lifer used for bay doors on many Fleetwood RVs
My Bounder has 40# lifers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Send an email to esupport@us.suspa.com with the Master Lift number and ask them for a cross reference number.
Dutch

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I bet those are 80 pounders, and I put those numbers in Google and got a ton of hits, though that might be due to Google personalization- I search a lot for RV parts, lol.
-- Chris Bryant

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys, since they are only $10 a piece on the site above, I bought a 30lb and a 40lb to test............

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a bathroom scale? If so, take off the old lifter and use it to push down on the scale. Note the weight where the piston starts to compress. Your lifter is old and worn out so it will compress below the force generated by a new unit. (that's why the door falls on your head) Buy the lifter with the lifting force rating that is the next step higher than the weight shown on the scale. Attach the new lifter and try it out. If the new lifter isn't strong enough, take it back and exchange/buy the next higher rated lifter. Not all your doors weigh the same so the lifter may still work on a smaller/lighter door. You WILL eventually need it. While you are working on it, I suggest you buy the next larger size attachment screws and replace those too before they pull out.

Chum lee

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
go here and have the size and get what you need or want.

https://www.makariosrv.com/gas-springs-gas-struts/

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't find it.

Master-lift
5239RE 0355N 250/04 A2 LL33-80 Made in Mexico

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the barrel for a label with a part number. "Suspa" is a common brand, and their part numbers look like "C16-00011", with different numbers of course, depending on the size and strength. Once you have the part number, search for it online. Amazon carries a wide variety of them.
Dutch

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
One option is to not replace the struts, or use this cheap fix until you find the proper struts.

CHEAP FIX