cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering problem...looking for ideas/causes

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
One of my 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs is out on the road with a friend (currently near West Wendover, Nevada). Zero issues up to this point. They just reported to me that there is a steering issue. They told me that something happened such that in order to drive straight on a flat smooth road they need to keep the steering wheel turned 30 degrees to the right. They turned around and headed back to the nearest town. On the way to that town, the steering got even worse.

Tire pressure is fine on all tires.

This is all I know at this point. I told them to bring it to a shop (if safe to drive) and/or have a mobile mechanic come to them. They are parked in town in a safe location. They are about 600 miles from my location so there isn't much I can do to help them.

Without any other info, could any of you give me your best guess as to what sorts of issues could cause the steering to get "funky" like that?

Thanks in advance! I will be sure to report back updates. As always, I appreciate your knowledge and sharing!

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
17 REPLIES 17

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
Update: I went out to the RV to help them out. Sent them home via airline. The were no longer interested in finishing their RV vacation. It was the first time they had driven/used an RV before and they had a couple of user error problems that caused them much stress, so they were done. One mobile mechanic (in a video they shared with me) showed that one of the tie rods could move just a little (when he tugged on it). There was another mechanic in town who test drove it and looked at it and said the steering was fine/normal and that there is usually a little play in the steering. I think what probably happened was they were driving along the long desert highway and the side winds were pushing them hard (30' RV) so it felt like they were constantly steering (turning the wheel a bit) to adjust for the side wind. I drove it home 650 miles without incident and the steering didn't feel abnormal to me during the drive. I will have my local mechanic take a look and confirm all is good. Thanks all for your suggestions and feedback!

Safe travels!
Chris
Well, if nothing else, you know not to loan/rent your rig out to them ever again!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I upgraded my 09 Cambria 30Ft to Bilstein shocks and it eliminated a lot of that side sway. Also when going over train tracks no more rattling of the dishes. The coach came with upgraded sway bars, the shocks made the difference. That barrel rolling around mild corners....gone.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sent them home via airline. The were no longer interested in finishing their RV vacation.

I hope you checked the Turbulence Forecast before they embarked on another form of transportation :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You didn’t even make them ride shotgun back with you?
You’re a better friend than I. It was really in poor taste to get 600 miles away in your RV and then decide to get cold feet and chicken out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow.....that really sucks for you having to go through all this trouble/worry. Yep, not everyone can handle an RV. Glad you "kinda" figured out the problem.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I went out to the RV to help them out. Sent them home via airline. The were no longer interested in finishing their RV vacation. It was the first time they had driven/used an RV before and they had a couple of user error problems that caused them much stress, so they were done. One mobile mechanic (in a video they shared with me) showed that one of the tie rods could move just a little (when he tugged on it). There was another mechanic in town who test drove it and looked at it and said the steering was fine/normal and that there is usually a little play in the steering. I think what probably happened was they were driving along the long desert highway and the side winds were pushing them hard (30' RV) so it felt like they were constantly steering (turning the wheel a bit) to adjust for the side wind. I drove it home 650 miles without incident and the steering didn't feel abnormal to me during the drive. I will have my local mechanic take a look and confirm all is good. Thanks all for your suggestions and feedback!

Safe travels!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

sch44792
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
One of my 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs is out on the road with a friend (currently near West Wendover, Nevada). Zero issues up to this point. They just reported to me that there is a steering issue. They told me that something happened such that in order to drive straight on a flat smooth road they need to keep the steering wheel turned 30 degrees to the right. They turned around and headed back to the nearest town. On the way to that town, the steering got even worse.

Tire pressure is fine on all tires.

This is all I know at this point. I told them to bring it to a shop (if safe to drive) and/or have a mobile mechanic come to them. They are parked in town in a safe location. They are about 600 miles from my location so there isn't much I can do to help them.

Without any other info, could any of you give me your best guess as to what sorts of issues could cause the steering to get "funky" like that?

Thanks in advance! I will be sure to report back updates. As always, I appreciate your knowledge and sharing ***Link Removed***!

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Man, that's a tough situation, especially being 600 miles away from your friend! From what you've described, it sounds like there could be a few different things going on. Off the top of my head, it could be an alignment issue, a problem with the power steering, or maybe even something more serious like a damaged tie rod. I'm not a mechanic, but those are my best guesses.

You're right to have them take it to a shop or get a mobile mechanic ASAP, as driving with steering issues is super risky. Hopefully, it's nothing too expensive or difficult to fix. Keep us updated, and fingers crossed it's an easy fix!

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our 2000 Four Winds on Ford E-350 did just that in Arches because the idiots at the Ford shop where I had it aligned didn't torque anything down - they set the alignment, and snugged the fasteners but didn't finish the job.
As a result, one of the (extra cost) bushings that set the caster/camber popped out of the socket on the right side, causing the pin to flop all around in the hole vacated by the bushing.
Fortunately, my brother and his GF found the bushing around a mile away, and we jacked up the axle, then re-installed the bushing. I hand-torqued everything, and we were fine for the remainder of the trip.
Needless to say, this was the final nail in the coffin as far as me being a Ford owner; I still resent the treatment they gave me during the alignment (another $50, another $50... ) and the lack of any compassion when I reported the results of the failure to the management afterwards.

Sorry for the rant.. but have them check the alignment bushings in the twin I-beams - they are right behind the wheels. Did either/both go awol?
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It should not be driven like that. If a tierod breaks it will cause the tire on that side to suddenly and violently turn fully outward.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said in my original reply to your comment "They told me that something happened", which could have been some sort of pothole hit, curb hit, fell off the edge of the roadway onto a low shoulder, ran over something solid ("gator" or other road debris), all sorts of possible causes for a catastrophic front end failure.
Ask them what the "something happened" was. I called it "front end stress" in my prior post, but I meant they may have hit something and damaged the steering system.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
A tie rod or ball joint is not going to jump the steering 30 degrees and stay there. With that type of failure the steering would become totally uncontrollable. More likely a steering box problem. JMHO

This. A Tie-rod could only do that if it's badly bent - like from hitting something. And if they drive it that way, the tire will be destroyed very quickly.
I think your friend isn't telling you something.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a tie rod end or any front end parts? Needs to fixed before it is driven.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
A tie rod or ball joint is not going to jump the steering 30 degrees and stay there. With that type of failure the steering would become totally uncontrollable. More likely a steering box problem. JMHO

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
No idea on repair costs.
Vehicle/parts/mechanic specific.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)