cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPARE TIRE

HBJBIRD
Explorer
Explorer
Just switched from a C Class to a A Class. 2015 Thor Hurricane 34J.
Looking to add a spare. What size Wheel do I need ? Currently running
245 x 70R 19.5

Also has anyone tried this. And would it work on the new coach ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Hide-Spare-Tire-Storage-Carrier-Underslung-Easy-to-Mount-Wheel-Holder/113643323460?epid=18024658891&hash=item1a75ab8044:g:y0kAAOSw3qRbvO~c

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

angler
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the motorhome tires are not made all year. Had the same issue with 235 80r 22.5 Michelins. Went with a different size that was built by other manufactures.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
As I am waiting tires to arrive prior to leaving out on a multi state trip, I am wondering if I should carry a spare. Dealer ordered tires nearly a month ago, as Michelin had to make new. If I get somewhere and have a blowout, will I be stuck forever waiting on a tire? Do I have a weird size (255/80R22.5), or did I just hit the market crazy? Dealer did say there were a few at one warehouse on East Coast, but not the six I need for full replacement.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
For 40 years we always carried a full spare, 20 ton jack, cheater bar, and torque wrench. We had three flats, once on a two lane road heading to St. John AZ, one inside the Grand Canyon and once on I-25 heading to Albuquerque. changed each of them
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The spare. ideally. should be the same as the service tires (Same size. same rim) Now with 19.5's you can on many Class A's shove a spare in atop the propane tank but how often do they go flat??? YOu should replace tires after about 5-7 years (Depending on if you are talking to an ex-spurt or an expert and I'll not say which is which) and my first flat came at about 11 years of age..
My current tires are celebrating the first anniversary of their birth :).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I carried a spare on my previous motorhome, a 2017 Forest River Georgetown, I removed it and the home built carrier when I traded it off. The spare and carrier are in my barn hoping for a new home.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On another RV forum: This fall I watched a tech from Love's dismount and mount a new tire on a truck at the I90 rest stop near Wasta, South Dakota. It was an inside dual tire. The tech used technique over brute force. A few of things stood out:

1. A tire tool was used to lever the wheels off and back on the studs.
2. Conventional tire irons were used. Nothing special.
3. A 5 gallon bead seater (air tank) was used.
4. Final torque on the lug nuts was done with a torque wrench.

and one more thing...

Both the truck driver and Love's tech were female.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Like HBJBIRD, I've had tire failure where service was not an option. It would drive me nuts (nuttier than I already am) waiting for hours for service. I carry 4 credit cards that won't work when cell service is not available. GRIN..............Sorry couldn't resist.
If you're handy enough to change a tire, then go for it.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

js218
Explorer
Explorer
XDN2 drives and X Line Energy steers, 24.5 load range H Michelins
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

js218
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^ my font and rear tires are different, that why I carry 2 mounted spares.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree to carry a spare. but seriously doubt that any one of us has the equipment to change the tire.

As a side question. Will the rear dully rims fit on the front? Don't look like they would.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

HBJBIRD
Explorer
Explorer
I had reached out to the seller on ebay and got no reply. Need to contact the manufacture. Agreed. Thanks.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 , I all ways carry a spare ,then if I have a flat I have a matching tire for road service to put on.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest you do some more researching. The BAL website (maker of the gadget) shows about 4 models, all of which only discuss mounting under trailers. A thread on the Forest River site discusses the mounts, one mentions it having a 100 lb capacity. Could be that this works fine for trailer-size wheels but might have a problem with our 22.5" heavy boys. You might want to contact the manufacturer directly with some questions before you dive in based on an Ebay listing (which also appears to be overpriced.)

BAL web site
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

HBJBIRD
Explorer
Explorer
I like the confidence you have with your tires and road side service. I have been stuck on the side of the road for 7 plus hours with wife and kids. Not much fun. I travel in areas that has no cell phone service ? What if your wheel is damaged ? What's the cost of tire being brought to you to be mounted vs buying a spare to have for the scenarios mention above. Glad you've been so lucky. I'd rather be prepared. Thanks for the replies though.