cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slides out or autolevelers down first?

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re now on our third Class A MH and the dealer insisted slides go out first . We have always leveled first. Any thoughts?
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
35 REPLIES 35

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
So we just brought home our new MH and my perspective has changed a bit. The new one the MBS chassis requires the engine to be running to put the slides out, but requires the engine to be off to put down the jacks. This literally forces me to put the slides out first - something I have never done on any RV I have owned. granted this is a C but wanted to note that the process really is unique to the unit.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
The instruction manual on our 1997 Monaco Dynasty with three point levelers is: slides out at full ride height, dump air bags, deploy levelers. When breaking camp it's air up to full ride height, retract levelers, retract slides. Been doing it this way for 17 years with no issues.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
On our rig, while aired up slides out first then level. On leaving air up bags, slides in then jacks up.

That must be something new for Newmar, they were always level first then slides.

I'm thinking maybe the full wall slide has changed things from the old days.

My 2015 Dutch Star instructions says to leave aired up, don't level first, deploy slides. Same as Ro"n"Joe. I believe this instruction is there to protect the full wall slide. Yes it's backward to some but that's why you follow mfg's instructions. I'm 8 years in following Newmars instructions & no issues.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
RTFM as in read the factory manual.I have seen slide and then level and level and then slide.
chompchomp wrote:
Weโ€™re now on our third Class A MH and the dealer insisted slides go out first . We have always leveled first. Any thoughts?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Reccomendations from the manufacturer will vary depending on several factors, but the most important is the structural integrity of the vehicle with the slides in vs the slides out.
Some RVs (mainly the ones with a lower cost) use the slide out closed as part of the structure. In these cases you need to level first and open the slide outs afterwards because the slides need to be part of the structure. The only issue is that when you open the slideouts the weight distribution will change and the RV might stress a little on one jack or even move if you are on soft ground.
The RVs in which the slideout wall is not part of the structure (a bus chassis for example) don't need the wall of the slideout to be in to maintain structure, so it is better to level the RV with the slides out to ensure great weight distribution.
I always believed that the safest bet is always to level first and open slideout afterwards, but me driving an Alfa, when the 4 feet slideout monster comes out you absolutelly can feel the RV change position...
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Bruce_Brown
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
On our rig, while aired up slides out first then level. On leaving air up bags, slides in then jacks up.

That must be something new for Newmar, they were always level first then slides.

I'm thinking maybe the full wall slide has changed things from the old days.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Always level first. Otherwise if off level the slides can and will go out uneven and may cause damage.

For Sure!
2014 American Eagle

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's another vote for "Ignore the blanket statements, and just go by what the owner's manual says". That is ultimately what matters, and the answer will not be the same for all coaches.

For us, most times we deploy the jacks and level things up first, but not always. If we pull into a spot that feels fairly close to level, I've been known to let the slides go out first. Or, if we are boondocking for just one night in a parking lot or something, we will not use/extend the leveling jacks at all, but the slideouts will come out.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the check the manual recommendations. It makes a difference whether you have leveling jacks or air bag leveling.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be nice to know the brand of is current mh, and what chassis. As others have stated check your manual and/or call customer support.

I have a Newmar gasser and wonโ€™t say what I do, as it may not be relevant for your needs.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What does your manual say?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Always level first. Otherwise if off level the slides can and will go out uneven and may cause damage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bruce_Brown
jorbill2or wrote:
Manufacturers have different rules. You need to look at what yours says for your year. You canโ€™t make a blanket statement. Mine says โ€œ this โ€œ isnโ€™t an answer.
My Marquis is slides ( ride height) then level .. but that may not apply to yours.

^^^ This.

Years ago we were having this discussion with friends of ours who owned a Monaco at the time.

The owners manuals came out and theirs clearly said slides out THEN level.

Our manual clearly says level FIRST.

To me it makes more sense to level first but I'm not the engineer who designed it. I'll listen to the guys who did.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The dealer may have read the owners manual. Could be a first. But do read the owners manual as if there will be a test, because there will be on some cold dark rainy night.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008