cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

shower skylight

twor
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing the shower skylight. My replacement is thicker than the original, but did not come with an inner dome. The original has an inner dome, not sure if I can get it separated from the old skylight without damage.

Is an inner dome necessary?
7 REPLIES 7

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is double that is 1 piece. We previously had vent covers that were double and when we ordered new, they were thinner single covers. We have a lot more noise thru the new ones than what we did the old double covers. Would not want a single over the shower based on the quality of the vent covers.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not go with a single. You will end up with raw wood around the inside opening. I have seen the after effects of doing this in an old MH and it isn't very good because all that moisture ends up where you don't want it.

twor
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I would totally remove the old everything
And install the new single dome

The more I look at them, they sure look as if it is a one piece unit with two domes.

The have the same flange so it was only the inner part that was in contact with the roof, then the outer dome sits right on top of the inner flange.

MrWizard
I would totally remove the old everything
And install the new single dome
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

twor
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
It's there for insulation and for condensation control. Can you just leave the original inner dome and replace the outer? They're usually two separate pieces.

They are either one piece or very securely fastened together. Would it be OK to just install the new single dome?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's there for insulation and for condensation control. Can you just leave the original inner dome and replace the outer? They're usually two separate pieces.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about changing mine. I would guess that it stops some noise and the air space would add a little insulation value. Not sure it's worth worrying about.