cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sealing Cab Running Lights That Have a Rubber Base..

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Good Evening,

Working to reseal the front and rear roof lights on our Monaco. There are 5 teardrop shaped amber ones on the front and 5 red ones on the rear. The lights are in good shape and have a rubber base.

In the original factory installation, the silicon caulk did not stick well to the rubber base of the light. It was well adhered to the fiberglass but had pretty much completely separated from the rubber base on each light. Once the lights were unscrewed, they could be lifted free with all the silicon remaining attached to the coach.

I plan to bed the light in butyl tape and seal the edges with caulk. Any thoughts on a type of caulk that will stick well to the rubber base on the lights?

Thanks
Dan

P.S. so far I am leaning toward Dicor Non-Leveling...
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
3 REPLIES 3

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Purchase SEALED LED lights as replacements and use butyl caulk to set them in place. The older incandescent lights would leak water in around the front lens and then this water would leak around where the wires came in to the light. The sealed LED lights prevent this from happening and can actually be submerged without leaks. IN addition the LED lights will be brighter and least pretty much forever.
I ordered all new SEALED LED lights for my Monaco coach and they were about $5.00 each. Be sure to get TWO wire lights since you cannot use the fiberglass cap as a ground.
LED lights

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I reworked the clearance lights on my coach all that was needed was to remove the assembly including the base gasket and seal the power wire access hole and the fasteners. Used butyl tape around the wire and hole and a dab of liquid sealant on the threads of the hardware. Been leak free every since with no visible exterior sealant necessary.

Check the base gasket carefully for a possible drain or weep hole that you don't want to seal.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Some times the rubber seals are just fine and it's the screws that leak.