cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salesman trying to talk me out of a Class C

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
So this salesman is trying to put me in a Class A instead of a C. He's got all kinds of reasons. Some of the Class A's he's showing me are less money, so he'll make less commission. But they are so HUGE! He tells me I'll hate the driving experience in a C, and the storage, etc. He's got me doubting myself, but I still think I want something a little easier to get around in. What's your take?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
39 REPLIES 39

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, agree with many of JusBud's points. A's harder to work on? On the contrary. Just about any large truck repair center will work on class A's, and for the do-it-yourselfer, most A's are 10X easier than C's (yes, I have owned/worked on both). I can sit nearly upright under my A and in the wheelwell and access the entire sides of the engine; couldn't get anywhere near the sides of the engine on my class Cs. Open my A's doghouse, everything is exposed. Class C? No way.

As for safety; yes, the C has a van cab and airbags. On the other hand the seats in the A are typically above the other vehicle in an accident. The merits of each have been debated ad nauseum, not gonna start it up again.

Showing off such wealth???? Not sure where that idea comes from. We don't all drive $500K+ 45' DPs with tag axles, full body paint, and hot tubs!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m probably in a very small minority here, I have both a C and an A.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses. The C is far more car-like to drive, this especially comes up in more urban driving. In fact I can (and do) park in standard parking spots (as long as there’s a vacant spot or grass strip behind me). My C is a shorter one, a 24’er. It is my ‘motel room’ on wheels and is my ‘go to’ unit. It is also the unit my wife is very comfortable driving, in fact she often drives it solo when she meets me when I fly my plane to a destination. It is a lot lighter on storage, but has more than enough for us.

The A is definitely more truck / bus-like in its driving experience. I definitely can’t park it in a standard parking space. My wife won’t get behind the wheel unless it’s for interstate travel only. There is an embarrassment of storage, if I lived in this thing I MIGHT fill the storage, but I doubt it. There is probably more than double, nearly triple the interior space, but to us that is mostly immaterial, we don’t have kids either. We don’t go someplace to sit inside and watch TV, as long as we each have a comfy seat, a kitchen and a bed we’re good.

I think the big decision it comes down to is the intended use.

If you are going to travel for a few days then camp for a longer period, or have a large family, you will probably be happier with the extra space.

If you do more shorter trips, visiting cities and more congested areas, especially if just a couple, you might prefer the C.

After owning both for a number of years, I find no difference in getting them serviced, gas mileage, or overall operating expenses.

YMMV.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
magnusfide wrote:
JusBud wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
JusBud wrote:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff lol?

People are sharing their personal experiences. There's no need for being dismissive.

dismissive?
And if he has never owned a Class A how does he know shops won't work on them? It's all hearsay and again nothing factual from personal experience.

Yes dismissive. Several who have owned class As have shared their experiences. I recommend you show more courtesy towards the opinions of others: this forum is moderated.

As an owner of a Class A I have to agree with JusBud. Your opinions have no factual merit. I am nowhere near wealthy nor do I pretend to be, I bought the RV that suited our needs and wants. A lot of C's cost more than some A's, heck B's cost more than both in some cases. And as far as manufacturing standards, C's are built on the same assembly lines as A's and TT's from most manufacturers. They don't change build quality for a type of RV. They're all slapped together with glue and staples by the same people on the same day. Not being dismissive, I'm being factual and speaking from personal experience.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

trackside
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a Thor windsport 29M to a Renegade Valencia 38RW. which is a Super C.Our reasons were that a diesel was easier to fuel at the pumps on the road than a gas class A. That's just one of the reasons. Get what you can afford and whar you feel comfortable with. Have fun and Safe Travels.

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
I hate to agree with a salesguy but he is trying to do you a favor. In my personal experience Class C's drive and ride like a moving van. Class A's drive way smoother and nicer.

Exactly!

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
I havent said anything wrong to cause moderation but you have
I dont agree with their opinion and gave my opinion
Thats what forums are about
As another member said the one comment is just plain funny and actually has nothing to do with the op's question
Did you call him dismissive?
The other member had nothing to contribute as far as facts
Youre the one that seems to have the problem with what others have to say
Lets leave it up to the op decide what posts will help him out

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
JusBud wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
JusBud wrote:

People are sharing their personal experiences. There's no need for being dismissive.

dismissive?
And if he has never owned a Class A how does he know shops won't work on them? It's all hearsay and again nothing factual from personal experience.

Yes dismissive. Several who have owned class As have shared their experiences. I recommend you show more courtesy towards the opinions of others: this forum is moderated.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's face it. The only "real" difference between a class A and a class C is how you like it and how it works for you.

All the rest is just personal experience or opinion and hearsay.

I did find the "embarrassed to show off wealth" comment pretty funny. I suspect that for most people, showing off is the last reason why they buy a particular RV. And for many people, any RV is a sign of wealth.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
JusBud wrote:

dismissive?
embarassed to show off wealth by driving a class A?
I know there are class C's well above the cost of a class A.
That's not personal experience, that's someone's perception that class A owners are rich snobs which i am far from lol.

How are Class A's being built to lowest possible standards?
That's also not personal experience and it's not even a factual statement.
Class C's are also built from a chassis and I wouldn't say they are built like any Prevost i've seen.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a school bus and we have a B+ for personal use. When we were looking we got the same thing, get a class a they are bigger and have more room. Well I can tell ya driving something like a bus for fun IS NOT FUN based on my experience (10 years driving). I have watched others almost have accidents because of the size of an A and not really understand how to drive one from the word go. Just like Super C's, a BIG truck design with a house on it. The dealer told me they give a short course on how to drive and thats it!

The c or a is mainly a matter of choice. Big bulky or small and bulky. Each has its good and bad points and yes the dealers push the a's since they are the ones that they buy in quantity to sell. Look for anything other than a small c and the choices just are not there and they are not always something to be desired. It will come down to what do you want to use it for? As was asked earlier, long term or short. We travel about 30 days a year in ours. we visit places we have never been mainly but do not do the tourist stuff that you can read about in motorhome etc. So you will really need to decide which will be best for your wants. I just had a building put up to store ours in roughly $65K, but it can also hold my pickup, and just about anything else I want. So that is another concern, where you gonna store when not in use. Open air deteriorates quickly, so there is the cost of a building, covers, rental parking etc and it can go on and on. A's tend to be taller than c's so they also become bigger sails in cross winds.

As to maint, yes some dealers (ford) will service, but will not do alignments etc, some places like camp world have 'service centers' to install and do minor repairs but not all can do everything. So the need for service help will vary, the c may or may not be something they work on, but most a's will require 'dealer' or specialty shops for service/repairs. yes the view on a normal c is obstructed, but on the B+ they are much better. but the overall size of an a's windshield has its own problems from cost to replace to needing additional pieces to cut down on sunlight and stuff. SO go do your own looking, determine what YOU want and then buy or walk away. Do not get pushed into something you DO NOT WANT and then have to decide if you can live with it or take the hit to get rid of it. Just look at Craigslist and see what others are trying to sell to help with the decision.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:
So this salesman is trying to put me in a Class A instead of a C. He's got all kinds of reasons. Some of the Class A's he's showing me are less money, so he'll make less commission. But they are so HUGE! He tells me I'll hate the driving experience in a C, and the storage, etc. He's got me doubting myself, but I still think I want something a little easier to get around in. What's your take?
The saleman must have sold the four door pickups. Where bigger is better. Wrong, most won't go into a garage. Plus they cost a lot more, just like most of the A's we don't want. I like slides, for get 40 ft. long and where you have to walk up six ft. to get in one.
So big a world, so little time to see.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
JusBud wrote:

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
When we started looking for a camper we test drove a Class C
It was the most unpleasant experience ever
Couldn't wait to get out of it
Felt claustrophobic and the ride was like being on a boat
The view out front isn't even close to a Class A
"embarassed to show off such wealth"?
"service centers won't work on class A's"?
Your salesman is doing you a favor

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The front of a class C (the van portion) is made to MTSB safety requirements, and made to be serviced by a typical mechanic.

A typical class A, especially a front engine chassis is made to the cheapest standards possible as defined by the motor home company, and is not always serviceable without excessive disassembly of their substandard materials. That is why many service centers won't work on them.