cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv sofa and chairs

tandtb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am a new to the RV way of life, and recently purchased a vintage ITASCA 33' motor home. I have already noticed that the sofa( which pulls out into bed ) and chairs are NOT bolted down in the unit. Where can I obtain slides or attachments that I can attach to the floor so that the sofa and chairs do not slide all over the vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated
9 REPLIES 9

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just pulled the sofa sleeper out of my MH. It was bolted to the floor with 4 L brackets and regular (long) wood screws.

Head to Lowes (etc) and pick them up to bolt your stuff down.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to rving.

it will be your opportunity to explore how to do what you want. just add straps if you want.

google is a great source of ideas.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Our recliner chairs are not used for seating while traveling
The belts are there from when the sofa was there .
The remaining sofa has its own seat belts so passengers
can ride there .
I have made a panic stop and our dining chairs stayed put without
much movement at all .
Things like a case of Cokes are more inclined to move it seems
or at least in our case

I have seen things tossed around in my bro in laws 5th wheel which
leads me to believe that the ride is much smoother in a large pusher .

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Our furniture in the travel trailer isn't strapped down and for the most part it stays put. However, no one rides in the trailer.

If the couch has seat belts, I would want it fastened securely. Our bounder had a metal bracket with a plastic screw on handle to hold the chair in place and a lever that locked to keep it from rocking during travel. The movable chair AFAIK is never an "approved" seat while in motion. I would personally want the chair firmly fixed in place while underway. Most of the time it won't move, in a panic stop it could start sliding.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will need to turn the sofa up side down to determine where you can
bolt on " L " brackets, 4 would be best . I would shop at Lowes or Home Depot
for L brackets and some rather large lag bolts , maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch
At the same time you could install seat belts if they are not already there .

We had 2 sofas in our coach so we removed one of them and installed 2 euro
recliners . We use the seat belts to secure those recliners when we travel .
You may be able to secure your sofa with seat belts .

Our dining chairs are not secured they just sit there never moving .
I have found things don't move around except when I made a really hard stop
then a few things move a little .

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage means purchased "as is". If you want something changed or corrected, you will probably have to do it yourself. I don't believe you would have grounds to ask the previous owner to do anything not expressly agreed upon before the purchase.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"vintage ITASCA 33' motor home", obviously used. It is quite possible that a previous owner has replaced the worn out sofa and chairs with residential style furniture. In a MH they should be secured for transport, sofa bolted to floor, some of the chairs that I've seen are free standing when parked and have brackets to secure them to the floor. They may not move under normal driving conditions, but during a panic maneuver, do you want a chair or anything launching from the living area to the cockpit area, I don't.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure they will move when traveling. The sofa bed is probably quite heavy and shouldn't move around. Our chairs don't move because they are sitting on carpet.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is this a used RV? They come from the factory with the furniture bolted to the floor so I imagine the previous owner replaced them without doing this. I would go back to the seller and make them do it the right way. Is it even RV furniture? RV furniture comes with a method to attach them ( a rail or pad with holes for bolts to go through the sub structure).
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS