cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV gasoline life span in long term storage

GrampaR123
Explorer
Explorer
Due to health problems our motorhome has been stored unused for over a year. How long does gasoline last before it goes bad?
15 REPLIES 15

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the definition of "long term". My Allegro sat for 6 years in a tow yard with 80 gallons of gas in it. The guy that sold it to me said they added Stabil to it. I didn't want to run it through my new engine (the reason it was in a tow yard) so I siphoned it out 5 gallons at a time and burned it in my daily drivers. They ran fine with it.

The Allegro sits more than it's driven (like a lot of RVs). The gas I have in it now is almost a year old. I run it once a month and it's fine - always starts right up. I fill it with fresh fuel at the beginning of every season (late-Spring, early-Summer).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Siphon it out, 5 gallons at a time. Put it in your car and use it up. Refill with fresh fuel and run it out about 100 miles. That will use up any old fuel. Don't overthink it.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
How much fuel is in the tank?

If it's on "E", consider draining and disposing of the old fuel if you can get at the outlet easily.

Otherwise, you can dilute with fresh gas.

On the positive side, if it's a full tank of gas, you are less likely to get water in the fuel but be prepared to swap out filters if there is water in there.

Unless it's a really old MH, I expect it has fuel injection so the float bowl and carb jets gunking up are likely not an issue.

Might be worthwhile to siphon the level down to half or less, (lower is better) before you fill with fresh. If what you take out does not smell to bad mix with fresh in car that you can drive, but do not expect to demand peak performance.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
You'll be fine. How long do those unwanted new cars on the lot sit before they drop the price in half?

How much gas do you think new cars have in them?

fitznj wrote:
I had a classic car that did not get driven too often (<150/year); it
had at least 2 year old gas in the tank and drove ok each time.

However - it sat unused for more than couple of years and the float bowl
and jets had a chalky residue which had to be cleaned out.

If you can; run the engine to operating - every once in a while and maybe
add fresh gas with seafoam.

My old cars I would normally put fresh gas in them every time I used it. Never fill, but enough to go and back.
I also put a valve in the fuel lines so I could shut off gas, and run the carb dry.
But I'm not sure that modern fuel systems are not more sensitive to old gas, or that the modern blends of gas keep that well.
The pickup I have now I make a point to drive some every week. When the gauge reads 1/4, I put in 5 gallons. Before I hook up to trailer, I fill the tank so over half is fresh. If it has been couple of months without using the trailer, I notice a decrease in mileage the first tank. Run down to 1/4, refill a couple times, better.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I had fuel injected vehicle sit for 2 years with no obvious problem. I rotate emergency gas stores on a yearly basis - no problems.
Kevin

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How much fuel is in the tank?

If it's on "E", consider draining and disposing of the old fuel if you can get at the outlet easily.

Otherwise, you can dilute with fresh gas.

On the positive side, if it's a full tank of gas, you are less likely to get water in the fuel but be prepared to swap out filters if there is water in there.

Unless it's a really old MH, I expect it has fuel injection so the float bowl and carb jets gunking up are likely not an issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Does not say what State it is stored in. If Calif I would not trust going over 60 days at the most unless you have Stabilizer or seafoam in the tank
samsontdog:o:W

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I worked for big box store they always said 30 and it starts going bad. that is why in the spring they sell a ton of lawn mower carburetors

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe answer is I DO NOT KNOW.. but I can tell you this.....

They say more than six months unless you stablize is asking for trouble

I know of a Workhorse 8.1L Fuel injected Vortec that sat for several years. So long the batteries were flat (Would not even taker a charge) Took 3 of us and the converter to bring in the slides. Dropped a new chassis battery in it turned the key and it fired up like I was in the dealer's showroom. Drove it around the campgroung a couple of times and parked it in the long term storage area for the cg owner (This was done with premission of the RV owner) Never misfired, not once.

Of course I also never hit 10 MPH
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I had a classic car that did not get driven too often (<150/year); it
had at least 2 year old gas in the tank and drove ok each time.

However - it sat unused for more than couple of years and the float bowl
and jets had a chalky residue which had to be cleaned out.

If you can; run the engine to operating - every once in a while and maybe
add fresh gas with seafoam.
Gerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be ok, pour a couple cans of sea foam in it and drive it around about twenty miles. then use that fuel up as soon as you can.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be fine. How long do those unwanted new cars on the lot sit before they drop the price in half?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Stabil states 2 years.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Was any fuel stabilizer used prior to parking? If so, itโ€™s probably OK, but I wouldnโ€™t personally go past two years even with stabilizer.

If it was not treated, it depends on the conditions, temperature, humidity, how full the tank is. Over a year could be to the point of degrading already. If it was mine, Iโ€™d put some Techron fuel system cleaner and some octane boost in the tank and hope for the best. Probably that will get you through that gas and you can drive it out and get fresh gas.

Itโ€™s impossible to be certain of the situation until you get into it. Could be no problems; could need fuel filters, worst case it could need the tank dropped and drained.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...