cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV built with hole in the Floor (Thor/Four Winds/Mandalay)

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello RV peeps.

Last week I started tearing out the flooring in my RV to replace the tile and carpet after 20 years of use.

When we peeled back the carpet between the drivers seat and the steering wheel there was a metal plate with a 4 inch hole in it.

I was shocked. It had always been hot or cold by my feet and I could not figure out why, now I know.

Very shocking.

JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
13 REPLIES 13

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCat wrote:
there was a metal plate with a 4 inch hole in it...It had always been hot or cold by my feet and I could not figure out why, now I know.
Meh, if it's obvious that it has nothing to do with anything else down there, I'd just get a thin aluminum sheet from Home Depot, ~$14 or so, cut and drill it to size, and use sheet metal screws to secure it to the floor - Job Done!
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mystery continues
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
aro_sie wrote:
I have been wondering if that hole had something to do with a tranny. Maybe for a stick shift.

That would totally make sense... not :S

The hole is right inline with the brake pedal, not where a shifter would be if there were such a thing as a newer manual transmission class A motorhome. I agree with Doug (an expert RV tech) that it's some type of access hole for repair or maintenance. Covering it isn't a bad idea, as long as the cover is easily removable.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I think the weird thing is there are 2 to 4 bolt holes around the larger hole. This make me think in a different model that panel is used differently and something bolted through it. I would just get a sheet of steel from somewhere maybe even Home Depot and bolt it over the hole. although that would leave bumps from the bolt heads. You could probably just duct tape the parch down as the carpet and padding will hold it down once installed.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wondering if that hole had something to do with a tranny. Maybe for a stick shift.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JCat wrote:
I don't think so as there are no wires that come through the hole and I never had any work done there on the rv in that area.

NOT a hole for wires, But a HOLE to reach down and remove or replace the fuel sending unit without having to drop the fuel tank. Doug

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think so as there are no wires that come through the hole and I never had any work done there on the rv in that area.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Is it possible it is an access hole for the Fuel tank sending unit? Doug

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just had a thought on how I can use it !!!

No more stops to go pee, a really, really , really large funnel and hose through the hole in the floor.

Now I can drive till I'm out of diesel with no stops.

๐Ÿ™‚ LOL
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air brake mounting hole for a floor valve
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
On a guess they drilled the hole for the steering in the wrong place.

Iโ€™d think thatโ€™s unlikely, theyโ€™d have a template or something so that every unit built is the same.

I suspect itโ€™s either one of several used to carry the walls & floor to meet the chassis, or to give access to some component needed during assembly.

Still surprising that theyโ€™d use an uninsulated steel plate to cover it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a guess they drilled the hole for the steering in the wrong place.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Incredible. Well, it might be 20 years later, but at least you have found the culprit. It is a good thing you decided to do this work yourself; could you imagine how it might be handled at a shop? Maybe they'd fix it, maybe they'd put new flooring right back over it!