cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RTX2000 Solar A/C......weekend update!

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, had posted about installing the RTX2000 a/c unit (used in tractor trailer cabs mostly) into the rear bedroom of my 28' RV using the existing vent and enlarging for installation.

Well, went on a fishing trip this past weekend and temps were in the 90's during the day and only dropped to 78 overnight. First night, my volt reading started at 13.1 on digital display and ran the RTX unit on ECONOMY mode all night with 2-fans helping to circulate the cool air towards the front of the RV for my two guests. I did NOT run the normal house a/c unit at night but did during the hot days. Overall, the RTX2000 was more than cool in my bedroom and comfortable for the guys up front. Morning volt reading showed 13 volts.

Second night, I left rear a/c unit on NORMAL mode which is much more airflow. Same results overall with more cooling towards front of RV. Volt reading in morning was 12.9 volts. Overall, this addition is beyond comfortable for the bedroom area and will be too cold if all vents pointed downward ( I had the 3 air vents facing the front of the camper to push cold air forward ). It does have thermostat so can adjust the temp to your liking.

I have 3-BattleBorn 100amp lithium batteries and 800watts of solar panels up top and charging was more than sufficient for back-to-back overnight use. Prior to this trip, I used the rear a/c unit in the bedroom during the day and closed bathroom door to block off front section of the RV, and even in 90+ degrees it kept the bedroom very cold to allow for an afternoon nap. I'm sure not many Class C users will install this for a 2nd a/c source, but, it really is a great addition especially for the QUIET it provided without a generator running.
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
VA-Apraisr

I use a watt meter rather than an amp-hour counter.

This one is not what I use--but it is quite inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.ca/Current-Amperage-Voltmeter-Multimeter-Transformer/dp/B07JB9B2QL/ref=asc_df_B07...

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately don't have amp readout. But, with unit running I turned satellite tv system on, coffee maker and microwave (volt readout went down to 12.6 under this load) then volts went back to 13. My brother may install the amp readout for me one day, and agree it would be a better gauge of useage.

The install was simple with instructions from the RTX dealer. The unit uses a similar gasket to the main a/c unit, and drains out 4-holes under compressor. It also only sticks up about 10" above the roof. No leaks so far and will be easy to spot since it's above my bed! Running the power cord required cutting a channel across the ceiling to tuck wiring harness inside and I covered with trim molding. Ran this cord into the adjacent tv cabinet, down the side wall (pulled paneling back to do this) and then beneath shower/stove/kitchen cabinets up to the dinette cabinet where my 3-lithium batteries are stored. Very simple if I could do it, and I did.

Direct connect to batteries is nice since I had already wired my microwave to go through the 3000watt inverter, and this allows me to keep a/c unit running without tripping the inverter.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I love projects like these. Sounds like you got some great additional cooling.

I think instead of voltage drop data points (...with Lithium the voltage discharge profile is very flat) it would be great to know how many AHs the unit used from your battery bank. Do you have a battery monitor?

Can you share with us the install process/details? Any risk of leaking (hopefully not)?

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat fishing and hadn't done that in 20 years. Cost $1500 for 2 days and only a few 45" red drum, so, I'll stick with my beach fishing ๐Ÿ™‚

As for costs, the RTX2000 has been going below $1800 lately (I got it 6 mos. ago at $2000). Lithium batteries vary on costs from $250 to $900; I used BattleBorn which are more expensive but reliable. You'll need at least 180amp hours to use this a/c system ( I have 300amp hours) which allows for running microwave, tv, etc. with plenty of leftover power.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info. Tnx. for the update of this system butโ€ฆ..what about the fishing ? :B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the great report.

Any idea of the costs?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.