cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rte 160 in Colorado

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Going from ft garland to cortez. With 37 ft mh and 12 ft trailer. Is this a good rte
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
39 REPLIES 39

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I10 out of El Paso was worse than LA Veta and Raton.
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you want more practice, try US Hwy 50 between Salida and Gunnison (Monarch Pass).

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Raton and La Veta passes completed? You are ready for the next level.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
If your equipment is in good shape Wolf Creek Pass is a must experience.

I would add: AND, are an experienced driver of heavy vehicles on mountain grade conditions.

This is NOT the place to start learning how to use your transmission and brakes for safe technical mountain driving!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
It's in good shape. To late to turn back now. Lol. I am on 160 camped at Blanca for a couple nights.
hahah, well there you go!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
It's in good shape. To late to turn back now. Lol. I am on 160 camped at Blanca for a couple nights.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
If your equipment is in good shape Wolf Creek Pass is a must experience.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I was thinking coming back east on I70.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take Wolf Creek any day over I-70 coming in to Denver ๐Ÿ™‚

You know when you hit the 4th GIANT sign with flashing yellow lights on I-70 warning truckers not to get out of low gear yet, combined with 7% steep grade signs and runaway truck ramps with warnings to yield to trucks trying to get to them that it is a pretty serious grade. My wife laughed when she saw the deer crossing sign and said "it doesn't have a chance" ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. I am sure I will be posting more questions in the future.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
polly sue wrote:
Bottom line, Wolf Creek is a piece of cake on the continuum of Colorado passes.

Ain't this the truth! 160 is nothing really. It is long and steep on the west side but of all the passes I drive yearly (40ft with Jeep in tow), this is usually one of the easiest passes. No matter what, if you are driving east to west in Colorado you have to go over the divide. My rule going downhill? 55mph or less.

William
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line, Wolf Creek is a piece of cake on the continuum of Colorado passes.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I drove this rig thru California, oregon, Washington state ,Montana and Idaho. I guess it can't be much worse than that. 160 it is.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A much easier route for you if you're concerned about Wolf Creek Pass (doable) is to take 285 south into New Mexico to 64 west to Chama (avoiding Hwy 17 into Chama) and continue on 64 to Shiprock, NM then north on 491 into Cortez.

Probably more miles... I didn't check. The West has mountains so no avoiding them unless going out of your way. The beauty is in the mountains. ๐Ÿ™‚

Coming down Wolf Creek Pass into Pagosa Springs, CO is a long downhill. It's a very popular route with RVers and many do it but only you know how your braking confidence is with the trailer. Get into low gear before you even begin the downhill... don't try slowing down in the midst. Then use your braking sparingly with quick touches, not a constant foot on the brake.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
Dukecity426 wrote:
rickwellman wrote:
Any steep grades along this rte.
We did this with our older 5th wheel that was 36 ft. So we were at least 40 plus feet long and it was a very enjoyable ride. A few small pulls but nothing like Wolf Creek pass. We did travel over Wolf Creek with a light truck and it is very beautiful as all have mentioned. Bruce

First and foremost I am not trying to convince you to take the route that we did, other than to answer your question as to an alternate route. So to further help you alone I will quote from the "Mountain Directory West" for truckers, RV, and motorhome drivers.
Cumbres Pass elev. 10022, and La Manga pass elev. 10230.
(Both of these passes are on Colorado Hwy. 17 between Antonito, CO and Chama, NM) The summit of La Manga Pass is about 28 miles south of Antonito (West as the crow flies)The descent towards Antonito begins with about a mile of 4% grade. At this point there is a sign- "7% grade next 4 miles" and "trucks use lower gear". The grade is steady 7% except for one very short break in the middle that lasts about 1/4 mile. It is a winding road with 25, 30, and 35 mph curves.
The Southbound descent stairsteps down for about 3 miles with short 4-6% grades and then eases up to the summit of Cumbres Pass. The Southbound descent from the summit of Cumbres Pass is spread out over about 9 miles. The first mile of descent is about 7% followed by about 1 1/2 miles of 3-4% grade. The next 6 1/2 miles are mostly 6% with several short sections of 4% scattered along the descent. It is a good two lane read with 30 to 40 mph curves.

Here is what is says about Wolf Creek Pass.elev. 10850. (On US 160 between South Fork and Pagosa Springs, CO) The eastbound descent from the summit of Wolf Creek Pass begins with warning sign--"6% grade next 8 miles". Most of this is three lane road .Further down the mountain the road alternates between two lane and three lane. Vehicles over 55,000 lbs. 25 mph.speed limit.
The descent begins with a 6% grade and 30 mph curves. About 2 miles down from the summit there is a short tunnel with a 30 mph curve. The grade continues as promised for about 8 miles at 6% from the summit but there are about 2 more miles of 5% before the grade eases enough to call it the end of the pass. There are 30 and 40 mph curves throughout the descent.
Going Westbound from the summit of Wolf Creek Pass we find signs warning --"7% grade-winding road next 9 miles" and "Vehicles over 55,000 lbs. 25 mph". Starting down the mountain westbound the speed limit is 25 mph. and it's four lane road. There are two runaway truck ramps. They are 4 1/2 and 6 miles down from the summit of the pass, at MP 162 1/2 and MP 161. After passing the second escape ramp the 7% grade and 30 mph curves continue for another 2 miles and then ease to a lesser grade for 2 miles before changing to rolling hills.
I hope that is the information you might be looking for to make and informed decision. Have a good trip,enjoy Colorado as it is a beautiful State, and always be safe in your travels.....Bruce
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.