cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotella 15W-40

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that change their own oil, Sam's Cub,a case (6 1 gal ) $15.00 off, 65.00 a case.Pick up case yesterday good thru July 17th.
14 REPLIES 14

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you go to the website you can order this oil and have it delivered to your house with FREE shipping.
I have never seen an expiration date on any oil that I have bought. :B

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are that worried shake them up once a year until use.
There is oil out there that has probably been pushed to the back of the shelf for many years as new stock is put on shelves.
Puma 30RKSS

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
For those that change their own oil, Sam's Cub,a case (6 1 gal ) $15.00 off, 65.00 a case.Pick up case yesterday good thru July 17th.

Yes! This is a good deal. This oil also works great for Onan gennys.

"Come to think of it, when (if) oil "breaks down", what does it become? Once those long-chain molecules are broken, they are not "oil" anymore. What is it?"

Sludge. When heated, oxygen combines with the broken oil molecules and they develop properties similar to the binder in oil based paint. They eventually harden and stick to the inside of whatever contains them. It's truly lovely, but, you don't get your choice of colors.

Chum lee

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The oil might last forever, but there is no telling about the man-,made additives in there. Those chemicals might deteriorate over time. How much time? I doubt if anybody really knows, it is just guess-work.
Come to think of it, when (if) oil "breaks down", what does it become? Once those long-chain molecules are broken, they are not "oil" anymore. What is it?

I buy my own Chevron Delo 400 oil at Costco (about $13/gallon in a 3 pack), and a NAPA Gold (Wix) filter, then take it to Masterlube. They charge less than $30 to do the oil and filter change and check all the fluid levels. It is worth it to me to not have to crawl around under the truck, then have the dirty oil to handle.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m confused (does not take much)...oil made from millions of years old crude only has a 5 year shelf life???
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
I gotta do some research to see if I can run that in my '04 CAT C-7
Scott

Absolutely. One of the better choices (meets Caterpillar specs, good price AND is available everywhere-- including all Walmarts).

BTW, the Porsche mechanic who taught me how to overhaul engines used it in his Porsches starting in the early 1960's. No idea if it meets current Porsche specs-- he had a 356!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Nunyadamn wrote:
That's a great deal. Autozone is $20 a gallon. This deal is less than $11 per gallon. Anyone know what oil shelf life is?

Probably five years, more or less for unopened containers.
Rural King has an everyday price of less than $11/gallon, with the purchase of a 55 gallon drum. Anyone for an oil changing party and I'm up for 8.25 gallons?
Bought from them, last time around in 5 gallon containers with a good rebate offered, except can't remember the price now.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the heads up. Bought 2 cases yesterday. That price is one heck of a deal. I guess I'm back to doing my own oil changes as the local dealer with a 4 for $200 deal has been sold. The new owner is not going to offer the same deal.
Puma 30RKSS

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ran that in my c7 2004 fun mover 39c for 12 years, 93k miles.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta do some research to see if I can run that in my '04 CAT C-7
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Nunyadamn wrote:
That's a great deal. Autozone is $20 a gallon. This deal is less than $11 per gallon. Anyone know what oil shelf life is?

Probably a LOT longer than it would ever stay on the shelf at a modern (just in time inventory system) store.

Asking it a different way-- how many day's supply do you think a store would have on hand?
Brett Wolfe

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Ran that in my Class A 460 with zero problems.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent.

Thanks for the post.

Sams occasionally runs REALLY good specials. Bought tires for our second car-- $80 off a set of 4 AND free mounting and balancing (another $60 off regular price). A one day special they do a couple of times a year.

Found a real quality clerk (rare in today's culture) at our local Sams who called when they ran that special.
Brett Wolfe