cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my speedometer

Bobstaff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 98 Safari Serengeti...Cat engine.
I want to replace the speedometer with a GPS speedometer. Looks almost the same but it gets its speed via gps rather than engine/tranny pulses. There is a 9 pin plug on the back of the old one that wont be used any more.
Question....will the cruise control still work?? Some older Speedos have connections to the cruise control but I cannot find ANY wiring diagrams for this speedometer to help me out.
Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why!?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobstaff
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for the confusion. It's an actual speedometer...it just uses a small gps antenna to measure the speed rather than connect to the transmission. And it fits in the same hole as the older broken Speedo.
My question is will the cruise control still work with the old Speedo disconnected? Some older cruise controls got the speed information from the speedometer.
I would fire it up and drive it down the street to try it but the dash is all ripped apart right now.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution.. Put a good GPS on the dash. Most will display speed and direction without any modifications to your vehicle. I use mine as a speedometer all the time, because the digits are easier to read and more accurate. Plus, it tells me where to go occasionally and if I get lost it tells me where I am.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.