What residential fridge could I replace
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
9 REPLIES 9

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

I know this is an eight month old thread but our Norcold 1210 went toes up today. DW smelled ammonia yesterday (I didn't). I suspect that means the cooling unit has failed.

Is the JC-Refrigeration really a DIY project? I'm not even sure getting it out of the slide past the island is a DIY project. How long does installation take? I'm pretty handy. Is there an installation video online? I found the installation manual.

We have a generator and are past our travelling days - we move it from storage to the RV park only.

We're only here on our winter snowbirding trip for another three weeks so we can muddle by with our bar fridge. Next fall something has to be done.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
We did the JC refrigeration HVAC conversion 3 Yrs agoโ€ฆ.works greatโ€ฆno regrets.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it can. You just need a generator. If there's a long term power failure, I am going to need A/C anyway so anyone complaining about my generator can suck on my tailpipe! Once you have had a residential fridge in your RV you will never go back.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Your tape measure is your friend but consider this.
I've been in parks where we had a long term power fail.. My Absorption cooling unit (RV Fridge) switched to Propane and everything inside stayed cold.

Your Residential unit can not do that.

Back in the late '50/early '60s my family had absorption fridge running in basement. When power went out brother and I would carry food down stairs, then back up. By mid '70, power at home was dependable enough Dad sold that fridge to family member that built home past end of wires.
My point is if camping and power goes out, pick up a squeaky cooler for food.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your tape measure is your friend but consider this.
I've been in parks where we had a long term power fail.. My Absorption cooling unit (RV Fridge) switched to Propane and everything inside stayed cold.

Your Residential unit can not do that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Lowe's or any appliance store and find one that fits your space.
The Norcold is:
Height Width Depth
63 1/4 in : 160.7 cm 32 11/16 in : 83 cm 24 in : 61 cm
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a samsung 19.5 best update I have made

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Instead of replacing the Norcold in our 2007 coach I put in a new cooling unit. After looking at residential fridges and figuring out that a lot of wood work would have to be done to make it look like it belonged there. I am not to good at woodworking to make it happen.

We never boondock and always have to coach plugged in so it only made sense to turn the Norcold into a totally 120 unit. We went with JC refrigeration. They have a great product that replaces the old cooling unit. Its a very easy DYI project with great customer service.
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I know I did not answer your question but thought I would give you a different solution. The new cooling unit works great.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly