cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reliability of coaches using DEF

midasman
Explorer
Explorer
I have wanted to upgrade as my Holiday Ambassador is moving toward it's 10th year. How are people doing with the newer coaches using DEF? It's made me wonder if moving back to a gas coach makes more sense. Or, keeping and modernizing my diesel pusher. We do Ouray, Colorado every year which means pulling my Jeep Wrangler over the Million Dollar Highway, climbing higher than 12000 feet...
Midasman
'06Holiday Rambler
Ambassador 40'
ISC 330
27 REPLIES 27

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Regeneration occurs as either passive regeneration where the EGTs are sufficient to burn the particulates out of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). This can occur under heavy load or during a long run. Active regeneration occurs when extra fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke and creates extra heat/combustion in the DPF.

On my 2014 RAM I can smell a regeneration when sitting still at an intersection or when I park the truck in my garage and hear the extra metal popping noises coming from the DPF.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
tyoungs wrote:
In general, when you can do the clean-up after the combustion process, then you can run the combustion for best efficiency and not lowest emissions. If you remember back in 1975, that was the first use of catalytic converters on gas engine vehicles. Everyone bemoaned having to use unleaded fuel but the 1975 vehicles with converters ran so much better and with such better fuel economy (because the converter cleaned up the exhaust "after" the combustion process)as compared to 73 and 74 that most people soon stopped complaining about having to use unleaded fuel.

Same with DEF, it allows the clean up to be done after the combustion process and with the advent of the digital controlled diesel injection, the engineers have much more control over every point of the combustion cycle. They can tune the combustion event for better efficiency and allow the clean up to happen in the exhaust after treatment devices. Lowest emissions in the combustion cycle and maximum efficiency in each cycle are usually not the same point.
If you have to "tune" the combustion process for lowest emissions with no after treatment, you generally are not at the point where you have max efficiency.

Not a very good comparison, unleaded gas to DEF. DEF does not harm the engine, unleaded gas was a BIG learning curve for auto manufactures. No one has mentions what happens when the engine control decides to go into re-gen, in the middle of a steep climb.

OK, what happens when it goes into regen on a steep climb?

We had the 2008 Dynasty for 7.5 yrs. and it would regen about once every 9,000-10,000 miles. Never noticed anything was going on unless I looked down to see the symbol lit.

We just went through our first regen on the new coach (11,000 miles). A message came up in the instrument cluster to let me know a regeneration was activated. Never noticed any difference in performance.

But, it never happened to us on a steep climb in either coach.

So, tell us what happens?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 2010 Dodge truck I chose Dodge because it was the only one that was not using DEF. I traded my Dodge for a 2014 Chevy that uses DEF. The dodge got about 10 to 14 MPG, My Chevy now gets 14 to 18 and I am guessing the DEF has something to do with the better MPG.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
tyoungs wrote:
In general, when you can do the clean-up after the combustion process, then you can run the combustion for best efficiency and not lowest emissions. If you remember back in 1975, that was the first use of catalytic converters on gas engine vehicles. Everyone bemoaned having to use unleaded fuel but the 1975 vehicles with converters ran so much better and with such better fuel economy (because the converter cleaned up the exhaust "after" the combustion process)as compared to 73 and 74 that most people soon stopped complaining about having to use unleaded fuel.

Same with DEF, it allows the clean up to be done after the combustion process and with the advent of the digital controlled diesel injection, the engineers have much more control over every point of the combustion cycle. They can tune the combustion event for better efficiency and allow the clean up to happen in the exhaust after treatment devices. Lowest emissions in the combustion cycle and maximum efficiency in each cycle are usually not the same point.
If you have to "tune" the combustion process for lowest emissions with no after treatment, you generally are not at the point where you have max efficiency.

Not a very good comparison, unleaded gas to DEF. DEF does not harm the engine, unleaded gas was a BIG learning curve for auto manufactures. No one has mentions what happens when the engine control decides to go into re-gen, in the middle of a steep climb.
Wildmanbaker

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer

Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

midasman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm impressed! Friend had Dodge 1 ton with 6.7. It STAYED in the shop. He used it for hot shot. Lost a TON of money waiting on Chrysler to try to figure out what was wrong!
Midasman
'06Holiday Rambler
Ambassador 40'
ISC 330

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thunder Mountain wrote:
We too are looking at a new coach as we are approaching ten years. One salesman told us the DEF engines actually get better mileage. Tell me if this is fact or just another example of a salesmen telling the tale to make a sale.

In theory it can be true.
It's because the DEF system works so well that they are able to put some of the timing and fuel curves back where they used to be when diesels got such good fuel efficiency.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We too are looking at a new coach as we are approaching ten years. One salesman told us the DEF engines actually get better mileage. Tell me if this is fact or just another example of a salesmen telling the tale to make a sale.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the millions of miles put on by over the road trucks,
I would also say...A non issue ..
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have DEF too, no problems in 11,000 miles. Had to learn how to operate the pump when using two different fuels. Piece of cake. LOL!

Don't worry about DEF.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have a neighbor who works where there is a fleet of medium duty trucks that use DEF. They are the most reliable trucks they have ever had.
As said before, DEF is a non-issue.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
DEF has become a huge enabler for the engine manufacturers allowing higher combustion pressures, higher temperatures, and higher outputs (HP/Torque). With DEF they don't have to deal with the emissions side of things as much.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
DEF is a non issue - we have 26K on our motor home. It is just to make the diesel have a cleaner exhaust
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks