cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended Tow Set-Ups (Brands) for the Toad

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re finally getting a โ€œToadโ€, and would like opinions and suggestions. The โ€œToadโ€ weight will be under 2500 pounds. We will be doing a lot of mountain towing! Thanks in advance for any and all help! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
17 REPLIES 17

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
x3 for ReadyBrute! Over 30k miles towing a Suby Forester ~3200#. Actually lighter weight setup and less costly than many others, in addition to simply working!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
X2 No brake box sitting on the drivers side floor.

way2roll wrote:
Your base plates will be dependent on your vehicle. We use Blue ox baseplates but have the Ready Brute Elite tow bars with integrated surge brakes. I really like these bars, everything is mechanical so there is nothing electrical or pneumatic to fail on the braking system. And the brakes are built into the bars so there is no installing/uninstalling the brake system like on a lot of other brands and it's not invasive to the vehicle. Takes about a minute to hook everything up from start to finish. Super easy. They were a little more expensive than some other brands, but when you consider the brakes are built in, but they are comparable to a set of bars and additional brake system, so in the end it's a wash. We tow a CRV.

ready brute bars
F1BNorm

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that Blue Ox and Roadmaster both offer base plates for our โ€œToadโ€.
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
For a better explanation: We will be doing a bit of off-road use, with the occasional use as city/town ( which we avoid)....and have a Suzuki Samurai! Hence the light weight!!! We will rarely use a conventional RV park/campground....mostly National Parks/BLM/State Parks/boondocking, ect.

So.....weโ€™re looking for a good tow set-up for the Samurai. We will be towing ....4-down! Weโ€™ll be looking for a hitch capable of 5K plus pounds, in the event we get โ€œoldโ€ and change our lifestyle!

Thanks again.....and sorry for the confusion! ๐Ÿ™‚

No worries, just wanted to get clarification on what you actually wanted. See my prior post on Blue Ox. Good stuff, great support.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your base plates will be dependent on your vehicle. We use Blue ox baseplates but have the Ready Brute Elite tow bars with integrated surge brakes. I really like these bars, everything is mechanical so there is nothing electrical or pneumatic to fail on the braking system. And the brakes are built into the bars so there is no installing/uninstalling the brake system like on a lot of other brands and it's not invasive to the vehicle. Takes about a minute to hook everything up from start to finish. Super easy. They were a little more expensive than some other brands, but when you consider the brakes are built in, but they are comparable to a set of bars and additional brake system, so in the end it's a wash. We tow a CRV.

ready brute bars
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
We will rarely use a conventional RV park/campground....mostly National Parks/BLM/State Parks/boondocking, ect.
That is us too. We do our best to avoid private camping.

We tow a 2006 Jeep Liberty, also for the same reasons you mentioned. We used to tow a tiny car but quickly learned that we needed a 4x4 to address the adventurer in us.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to find which company makes a baseplate for your vehicle then match the tow bar to it.
Towing procedures are vehicle specific.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
For a better explanation: We will be doing a bit of off-road use, with the occasional use as city/town ( which we avoid)....and have a Suzuki Samurai! Hence the light weight!!! We will rarely use a conventional RV park/campground....mostly National Parks/BLM/State Parks/boondocking, ect.

So.....weโ€™re looking for a good tow set-up for the Samurai. We will be towing ....4-down! Weโ€™ll be looking for a hitch capable of 5K plus pounds, in the event we get โ€œoldโ€ and change our lifestyle!

Thanks again.....and sorry for the confusion! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 3200 tracker with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and base plate. Demco Stay-n-play Duo semi-permanent brake system. We had a charge line installed in our E450 based C to keep the car battery charged and LED lites installed for toad lights.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Blue Ox. They can provide all the hardware you'll need to tow 4 down (flat, no dolly or trailer), and their product support is great, in my experience. I'm not sure how they fare as far as price goes, but I think they're worth it.

OK, before we get any further into this, could the OP please define the topic a little more clearly?

Topic: "> Recommended Tow Set-Ups (Brands) for the Toad"
OP, does this mean you want suggestions for towing hardware brands, like Blue Ox or Roadmaster or Brake Buddy, or for other options for towing, like trailering or tow dollies?

Comments "Weโ€™re finally getting a โ€œToadโ€, and would like opinions and suggestions. The โ€œToadโ€ weight will be under 2500 pounds. We will be doing a lot of mountain towing! Thanks in advance for any and all help!"
OP, does this mean you've already selected a toad that weighs under 2500 lbs?

Most of the replies to your thread so far have been suggestions for the actual toad itself, which I think you've already selected.
I read this topic to mean you wanted help with the towing hardware required to pull a 2500 lb toad, sometimes through the mountains.

Your turn, memtb ......:?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy Sonic except the RS model can be flat towed with the automatic.
@ 2700-2800#
I have the 5-dr hatchback which offers a lot of storage or seating for 4 if needed .

If you use the ignition in the "ON" position to release the steering wheel it will NOT record towed mileage. If you click one more click the "RUN" position then it will record mileage. You have that option.

Tow bar : Blue Ox Alpha 6k with baseplate.

Brakes: Brake Buddy II, sits on the floor , attaches to the pedal.
Works well and the $1200 cost can be transferred to any vehicle down the road.

Lights: hardwired a 7 way plug under the hood to accept a separate charge from rv to car. Also ran separate wires thru it to the rear taillight housing where new holes where drilled to accept 1157 bulbs for brake/tail/running lights. That way I avoided cutting into the cars electrical system.
When I run at night I turn on the cars running lights to offer more amber illumination.

my DW says it tows real smooth allowing her to do her needlepoint in peace n quiet. :E:B

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a fairly light toad, but under 2500 pounds limits you to vehicles with very little room inside and are frequently uncomfortable. If you can do 2800 pounds you can do a Kia Soul. Very roomy and with the back seats flat offer a lot of storage. Needs a manual tranny though.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Curious how you arrived at the 2500 lbs. Is that based on the calculation of your tow capacity? That's a pretty light tow vehicle and really limits your shopping. I can only think of a few cars that are even that light let alone towable. Cars like the Spark, Fiat 500, Accent, Versa, and the Yaris are the only new cars I know of and they all have limitations based on transmission. Good luck.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox. They can provide all the hardware you'll need to tow 4 down (flat, no dolly or trailer), and their product support is great, in my experience. I'm not sure how they fare as far as price goes, but I think they're worth it.