cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-Roofed with Fiberglass

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend looking to by a pre-owned 36' Class A Motor Home. The current owner has replaced the roof with a fiberglass roof.
I dont know what the original roof was.

Could this be a problem?
Tony B
16 REPLIES 16

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
I know he saw it at least once. I suggested that he go again, but this time bring a good mechanic to check pout the engine and then inspect every nook and cranny for leaks, both past and present. If he and the mechanic are OK with it, then get a good inspector and bring the RV to a mechanics shop where engine could be put on computer for analyzing.
Also check with insurance company for actual value and cost of and quality of insurance.
What have I left out?
Tony B

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Having shopped for and bought 3 motorhomes, I would agree with some of the previous comments that I would keep looking and pass on this coach. An older coach with a replaced roof with a gasoline engine with 105K miles would not be of interest. That is not to say it could still have many miles left in it if it was properly maintained. However, there are just too many good used motorhomes available to jump on one with many questions.

At the very least I would be wanting to inspect it carefully, insist on proof (maintenance receipts, etc.) of regular oil/filter changes, transmission service, and I would expect to get it for a really low price.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
The original story as I heard it was that the present owner that is selling the RV built a new fiberglass roof. I had/have no idea what the original roof was made of nor do I know why it was replaced. I am getting this info from a friend of mine that is the prospective buyer.
Since the roof was rebuilt, the only way to find out why, is to contact the original owner.
My next question was how significant or worrysome would someone be buying it with 105,000 miles on a gas engine? The engine was supposedly well maintained.
Tony B

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Well the OP keeps editing his story so now I don't remember what the original question was, but I think we were led down the wrong path.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would check the sidewalls for delamination, and inside the MH for leaks, if no delamination or leaks are found and the roof underneath has no soft spots when you walk on it I would not worry why the roof was replaced. The PO could have backed into a tree limb or something. These roofs are very thin not like a boat hull or FG front cap. As far as 105k miles the PO used it and if it was well maintained and the price is right asked to see the maintenance records. If everything else checks out and you like the MH make him an offer.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Tony B wrote:
I dont know what the original roof was nor do I know if it was done professionally or as someone suggested by a bunch of beer drinkers.
I also dont know how long ago it was done.

I was just informed that it is a 2003 Dolphin LX

The coach has 105,000 miles on a gas engine. What kind of mileage could be expected if it were well maintained?

Don't quote me on this, but I'm about 95% sure that National RV only used fiberglass roofs on all of their RV's. If not all of them, I'm confident the Dolphin line came only with fiberglass in this time frame. So if it is a new roof, it's likely it was just a fiberglass replacement of the existing roof. The question I'd have is why was it replaced, and if it was replaced because of leaks I'd want to try and figure out what the underlying damage may be.

Edit: Guess I should have read all the way through as others covered this.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, Dolphins came from the factory with a fiberglass roof and they are basically maintenance free, except for keeping chalking around vents and at the edges in good shape. It would be very unusual to ever need replacing unless it was damaged by something, like a tree falling on it , etc.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Tony B wrote:

It had a fiberglass roof when new.

From the 2003 National Dolphin specs

"Steel framed crowned laminated fiberglass roof"
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My only comment is I have a textured glass roof on my RV and other than seal inspection it's as good as an aluminum roof, in some ways better. Unlike a rubber roof, there is no upkeep involved (except caulk and seals. It's quieter than aluminum for sure (I had a one piece aluminum sheet on my last unit).

Like the other posters, I'd want to know the install history, how it was applied and who did it. Mine is factory and I don't expect any issues for a very long time.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s a big red flag.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I would sure want to see how they installed a fiberglass roof on a coach that didn't originally come with one. A fiberglass roof is made in one piece and placed on top of the coach during construction. How would you remove the original roof and then replace with a one piece roof?

I'm sure it could be done, but I doubt that kind of money was spent on a used gas coach, even if it was done in the first four or five years.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
14 years old, 105,000 miles on a gas engine, and a questionable roof?

I'd tell your friend to keep looking!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know what the original roof was nor do I know if it was done professionally or as someone suggested by a bunch of beer drinkers.
I also dont know how long ago it was done.

The coach has 105,000 miles on a gas engine. What kind of mileage could be expected if it were well maintained?
Tony B

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass roofs are pretty standard on motorhomes. There are some exceptions.

I don't think any manufacture that used fiberglass has switched to rubber over wood. I personally love the fiberglass roof, because it is so easy to take care of.

I'm curious how the owner replaced a roof covering of fiberglass on a roof assembly designed for rubber. He truly could have concerns with cracking if it wasn't installed correctly.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed