cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Best" RV GPS Nav Systems

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin Nuvi Nav system' but are interested in an RV oriented Nav System that contains useful lists and info about points of interest, BLM , state and county camp grounds and commercial RV parks as well as road construction ,RV friendly routes, low overhangs, weather, traffic alerts and turn by turn guidance.

Also interested in free and frequent updates. and good support and ease of use for around $300

Looked for a sticky on this but didn't find one. Any advice appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Our smart phones offer up-to-date navigation where cell coverage exists. We bring an old outdated GPS navigation devise to fill in the voids as needed, but our primary backup is a paper Rand McNally Atlas. I am not sure we would bring a GPS navigation devise if we had not already owned an old one.

GPS navigators require expensive updates or subscriptions, a big turn-off for me because the updates can over-load and then drag down the performance of an older devise.

I kind of like that our radio does not have an integrated GPS because outdated electronic gadgets irritate me. I like that the disease is not built into our rig.

Well put, Ron!

Just the right amount of electronics in one's life is a balancing act.

Our 3550LM Garmin navigator has free lifetime map updates and plenty of built-in memory. Like you, we back it up with several atlas books - one entire large format Benchmark book for each state.

Only the DW has a smartphone but we do not use it for navigation ... partially because of the in and out of cell tower signals as we travel. Also FWIW, I don't trust Google to be "helping" me with anything that's "free" - they probably always get something back in return -> "data on us".
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our smart phones offer up-to-date navigation where cell coverage exists. We bring an old outdated GPS navigation devise to fill in the voids as needed, but our primary backup is a paper Rand McNally Atlas. I am not sure we would bring a GPS navigation devise if we had not already owned an old one.

GPS navigators require expensive updates or subscriptions, a big turn-off for me because the updates can over-load and then drag down the performance of an older devise.

I kind of like that our radio does not have an integrated GPS because outdated electronic gadgets irritate me. I like that the disease is not built into our rig.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always look at more than one place when buying something to compare prices and always look at the reviews. Sometimes they have very good reviews but I always check them thru Fakespot you would be surprised at what you find,many that have glowing reviews are mostly fake!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Correction: The RV NA 770 MT-S IS NOT a reliable, easy to use, RV nav system according to lengthy and intelligent customer review comments on Amazon. Sounds worse than my Subaru nav system!! Glad I read Amazon user reviews vs ad information.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I read over the ad and specs for the Garmin model "RV NA 77 LMT-S", looks good! Price is $300:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-rv-770-lmt-s-gps-with-built-in-bluetooth-black/5746810.p?skuId=5746810&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLPW4O6v4w

Noticed that it and other units need a "compatible" smart phone for full functionality. I finally found a phone number to contact Garmin Support. I asked if my cell phone is compatible and was told that Android 4.4 or above are compatible, mine is 6.0.1. I also found that my cell phone has Bluetooth 4.1 which should also be compatible.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know about Rand McNally support. I am not "smart" about maintaining and upgrading PC's, getting the most out of smart phones or upgrading nav devices. The Nav system in my Subaru Forester drives me batty. I guess we may have to invest in a Garmin 3550LM or similar. Thanks for the replies.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I have a Rand McNally and am having trouble with it. RM doesn't seem to care, and can only suggest common re-sets, or sending in for repairs, at $100. No mention of guarantee. They are very hard to contact by phone, and customer service by E-Mail takes days for a response. I myself will NOT buy another RM, and told them so.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

ronfisherman
You can add many of the POI (point of interest) to your current Garmin by using POI Factory . The POI are updated regularly. It may take some time to use figure out how to use POI Loader. It works very well. One of my favorite POI's is 22,847 NORTH AMERICA CAMPGROUNDS (CSV) By Rivopom. It includes locations and phone numbers for each campground.
You can add all of your interest to the Extra's file in your Garmin.
I had to add a memory card to my Garmin to download all the POI's I added to my 2 560 DEZL Garmins.
6 years ago I bought both of them off Garmin Factory Outlet. Have not had a problem with either one.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
We have a Garmin Nuvi Nav system' but are interested in an RV oriented Nav System that contains useful lists and info about points of interest, BLM , state and county camp grounds and commercial RV parks as well as road construction ,RV friendly routes, low overhangs, weather, traffic alerts and turn by turn guidance.

Also interested in free and frequent updates. and good support and ease of use for around $300

Looked for a sticky on this but didn't find one. Any advice appreciated.

There are several Garmin "Nuvi" models that are not discontinued and hence still supported by Garmin.

As an example - we RV navigate using a Garmim Nuvi 3550LM. We have around 1/2 million Points of Interest loaded into it and it has plenty of storage memory left for even more. Of course no cellular signal is needed to use our Nuvi to the fullest.

If an RV'er doesn't care to be hooked into the vicious circle of a smartphone dominated life ... and as such doesn't want all their eggs in the cell signal availability basket ... then a high end stand-alone Garmin navigator packed full of all kinds of locations is still a great independent way to go. We can even download (via satellite) audio books into our 3550LM and listen to them through the Garmin when on the open road.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
call garmin and see if they will take a trade in on your nuvi (supposedly no longer supported). I have rv 660 and the last update caused some issues. Getting another from garmin who 'warrantied' the current one and are sending the replacement.

Keep the nuvi for a towed vehicle if ya have one, make sure to check the sale site at garmin.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Unrealistic price point IMO. No updates are free and frequent for $300.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I found doing my research at home of all places I want to see and go to, then using RV Trip Wizard to plan my trip solves the low bridge and best RV route to take. Then I re-create the trip using Google Maps. Then I send it to my phone for navigation on my trip. So far so good and is the easiest solution for me. it also doesn't clutter up my dash.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Border,

If you want to stay below 300$us, you are going to have to catch as good sale. The Garmin and the Rand McNally are both nominal 400.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.