cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about power steps

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Am having intermittent problems with our steps on the below listed rig. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Very common, I know. I crawled under the rig tonight and unplugged the connection between the batteries and the steps. Banged it together a bit, didnt see any corrosion or foreign material in the plug ends. Plugged it back in and eureka! It works. Is there a spray I can hit the plug with to keep the plugs talking to one another? Can't help but think the plug is the culprit, at least in my case.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
12 REPLIES 12

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention that perhaps the Mod is ahead on this. It sounds like you have the magnetic switch problem corrected and now it sounds like the motor is going.

I think your rig has the phenolic housing that contains the worm gear and is an integral part of the motor. If so, call AM in Oregon and order a new motor before you get off somewhere with the steps stuck in the retracted position. It's much easier to fix at home than in a muddy campground(winter is here). I don't have their number handy but if you don't find it with a search, PM me and I'll look it up and post it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gottahaveit
When you get tired of messing with it (LOL we finally did) Just buy a new motor online. Piece of cake to replace for under $75
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

charwan
Explorer
Explorer

I guess I'm a little dense but how would the steps work if you disconnected the ground?

I thought the same thing when I read that. Wondered if and one else would catch it. I don't thank he meant it that way.
N4FAP

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 rv's ranging from starter model to highend. On everyone I've had problems with the steps. intermitten problems to eventually not working at all.
Everytime I have fixed it by lubricating every moving part in them. I drove our rv's alot so I found I had to do it about once a year. Try the easiest solution first. Just my 2 cents.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
no your not dense,,, my bad ,I ment to remove and clean.

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
CRC electrical contact cleaner
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Low battery and corroded ground wires are the two most common reason for flaky step performance. Check the ground wires for the step and batteries .. and clean the battery terminals.
Kevin

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
well if your battery is low,they,ll do funny things, I,d take the connections apart spray with a contact cleaner, remove the ground wire if theres one there . and hope it works. don,t know alot about them. but keep mine lubed .

I guess I'm a little dense but how would the steps work if you disconnected the ground?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The spray is De-OX-IT you need the two part. one removes oxidition. the other helps prevent it. Radio Shack carried it but finding an RS is next to impossible now... All Electroics has it as well but there are several "Versions" and I'm not sure which ones are the ones you need. I use it around here. Use it on your shore plug too. Spry on the de-oxider/cleaner.. Wipe off. Spray on the preservative and things tend to work better. Be sure to let dry before plugging in.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy is right the switch first thing. I had the same thing happen to me but mine just quit. I have written some things on mine you can find if you have the same step as I do. You can take a magnet and work the door switch. I use one when I work on the battery to keep the steps in. Put dielectric grease or white lube on them connections.
N4FAP

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the same problem with my steps, it turned out to be the magnetic door switch.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well if your battery is low,they,ll do funny things, I,d take the connections apart spray with a contact cleaner, remove the ground wire if theres one there . and hope it works. don,t know alot about them. but keep mine lubed .