cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality in a class C

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a quality used class C for a family of 4.

We’ve had two travel trailers in the past and one had issues - and it was the one we bought brand new in 2018 after tons of research.

Decided we want a class C now and we don’t want it in the shop al the time.

What brands do we need to look at and what do we need to absolutely stay away from?

Looking at 31 ft and larger.

Thank you!!!
17 REPLIES 17

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Meh. See these quality threads come occasionally. Had a thor funmover 39c and now a thor 23u. Love the easy handling of the smaller unit. I observed many, many used thor class c rentals with 140k plus miles on market. Good enough for them, I'll give a try.

None of these is great quality. You should be prepared to pay for some work or better yet get handy and do it yourself. (In my experience, frequently after I paid for someone to work, wasn't done right or had to be redone) Majority of the few times I e had issues were in the field so the repair man was me.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances!

Minor inconveniences compared to the fun I've had and places we've been. Little hotel room I put wherever I want and know its clean and safe.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
AJR wrote:
I have had two used class Cs. The first was a Four Winds (Thor) Chateau 28A on a E350 chassis with the V10. After a few years stepping up into the shower became less desirable for me. It also had less food prep area than I would have liked. The build was average & I had no real problems with the house. I do not miss the sound of that V10 engine screaming on small hills one bit.

My current Leprechaun 290QB on a Chevy 4500 chassis with a 6.0 engine has been a step up in quality for me. The first thing that surprised me is all the water drain pipes are put through flanges in the floor. Thus eliminating holes for critters to get in. The floorplan works well for me without having to put the slide out. Also the stock 4500 chassis handles wind & trucks passing much better than the modified Ford chassis did.

My impression is Coachmen took more time figuring out how the unit was going to be used. An example is the 60x80 queen bed that is offset to one side. Giving the other side more room for getting dressed.

I can understand why your Chevy 4500 chassis would handle wind & trucks passing much better - as a Ford E350 chassis under your previous Chateau 28A would seem to me to be right at, or over, the weight carrying and handling design of an E350 chassis. I wonder what Thor was thinking using only an E350 chassis under a Class C that large?

Our slide-less 24 ft. Class C on an E450 chassis handles rock solid at all times. However, I did have to install automatic variable damping-rate shocks in the rear in order to reduce high frequency stiffness for a better experience when traveling over highway cracks and potholes.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two used class Cs. The first was a Four Winds (Thor) Chateau 28A on a E350 chassis with the V10. After a few years stepping up into the shower became less desirable for me. It also had less food prep area than I would have liked. The build was average & I had no real problems with the house. I do not miss the sound of that V10 engine screaming on small hills one bit.

My current Leprechaun 290QB on a Chevy 4500 chassis with a 6.0 engine has been a step up in quality for me. The first thing that surprised me is all the water drain pipes are put through flanges in the floor. Thus eliminating holes for critters to get in. The floorplan works well for me without having to put the slide out. Also the stock 4500 chassis handles wind & trucks passing much better than the modified Ford chassis did.

My impression is Coachmen took more time figuring out how the unit was going to be used. An example is the 60x80 queen bed that is offset to one side. Giving the other side more room for getting dressed.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago has been great but you need annual maintenance. Being handy is a big advantage, only time to bring the unit to a professional was for tires. Ford E450 is a good chassis change the oil. Good luck we have the same unit for 19 years and still going. Be careful easy to justify buying more shiny tools :).

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to say that at 31 feet, you are definitely stretching the length of a F450. Maybe you are more interested in a Super C though? It seems like when you get quality, (I am super happy with my Winnebago) it adds weight, and if you get slides, it cuts the carrying capacity down. A family of four might need a lot of gear, so watch that limitation.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some pretty good answers so far,it seems to me that the quality has gone down in the last several years.
So older ones have a lot better quality,my 2006 Tioga has not given me any problems as far as the quality of the build,All doors, cabinets and drawers are tight and working as they should, the fit and finish is still very good. Even all the tank sensors work!

Things to look for is not only quality of the build when looking for a used unit but also the maintenance that was given the unit.

Another avenue to look at is the Rental Market there you have a quality build that has to stand up to vigorous use and is maintained well to keep in on the road and making money.

There is more than 140 Forum members here that have chosen to do that and are happy with their choice.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
How handy are you repairing minor items. Also find a mobile mechanic and have him become your friend. If buying pre owned have it inspected by a mechanic or someone that has no interest in the vehicle. The overhead bunks can be a issue with water leaking in, make sure that's secure.They all get 8 miles per gallon unless you get a Mb diesel which has it's own set of issues. I owner a itasca Cambria for 6 years ,pre owned, was pleased with it. The Ford V-10 is bullet proof if maintained properly. Any mechanic worth his salt can repair it.
friends have owned or still own RV's costing 500 K and up and yes, they still have issues. Mainly with wiring, fuses and where they are located.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well personally speaking, my 2004 Ford Fourwinds Thor has been very nice now with over 120,000 miles. Original water pump, furnace, refrigerator, generator (although had work done), cabinets, sofa, etc. No leaks and going strong. Just bought another Thor 22E for my cousin and it's a 2016 with zero issues. Maintenance is key and every manufactured unit can have defects. Just gotta inspect, inspect and inspect again before buying and then stay on top of the maintenance!!!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of the name brand Class C's are of similar quality in terms of materials and workmanship (mediocre). Drive trains are mostly Ford E-450 and quite reliable/trouble free with normal use and maintenance. Materials, workmanship and sturdiness of the house box vary. Phoenix Crusiers and Lazy Daze and a few others cost considerably more but are known for their quality of construction. Most motorhomes use the same air conditioners and furnaces, RV generators, refrigerators, water heaters, etc. regardless of brands. Most makers offer entry level and fancier Class C's. Try to learn what you can and be sure that size, floor plan, sleeping accomodations will serve your needs.

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info. I’ll def look at the itasca now too.

What about the Forrest river foresters?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
No such thing as a quality RV.
Unless you look in the $500k and above range.

Do you mean that with respect to only new(er) RVs or in all RVs, period?

Our 2005 Itasca 24V Class C on an E450 chassis has been kindof great on quality ... it has: The original Onan generator, the original toilet, the original water heater, the original GW and BW tanks, the original flooring, the original cabinet doors drawers and hinges, the original microwave, the original oven and cooktop, the original Norcold 120V/gas refrigerator, the original furnace, the original air conditioner, it's 2nd set of Michelin tires, it's 3rd set of coach batteries, it's 2nd chassis battery, it's 2nd set of V10 exhaust manifold bolts (grrrrh), it's 3rd water pump (grrrrh), and it's 2nd cabover window (grrrrh).

We even take it off road and nothing in the coach structure "has fallen apart or come loose" - yet. 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this?
Jayco

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We'er on our second new Itasca, I don't remember any real problems with them.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
No such thing as a quality RV.
Unless you look in the $500k and above range.

Even then ...
I think they upped that to $2 million now :).

and when you do have problems after spending that amount, it hurts even more, besides that, they want them taken back to the factory not the dealer.