Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Adapter Kit ??

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
While we are on this propane kick, please tell me if this item is any use:

I want to use my RVQ (BBQ that went the 5er using a quick connect to the 5er's propane system with the 5er's regulator), plus I would like if needed to use an ordinary portable propane cylinder to run my MH propane systems instead of re-filling the big tank if that is more convenient at the time. (This sort of item came up in another thread, for which I am grateful for the good tip on such things being available)

I am not too clear on this, but AFAIK the MH tank's regulator is after the filler intake, so would that not mean the RVQ would have no regulator? Is this only any good with a standard BBQ with its own regulator?

I realize the price for this item is outrageous compared with US prices, but never mind that---the thing is now whether this would do the job? (If so I can maybe get one made up of various components at a local shop that has all sorts of propane and plumbing bits and pieces.--Andrew Sheret)

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sturgi-Stay-Deluxe-Propane-Adapter-Kit/dp/B01N5PTVDZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
5 REPLIES 5

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all that is "keeping it simple" I really am in trouble! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't know what I will end up doing yet, but I am glad to see there are indeed ways to get it done.
Photo in Profile

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Most all RV gas appliances operate at 11โ€ WC pressure (about 1/2 PSI). A two stage regulator provides steady even flow even though the supply tank pressure can vary through a wide range of pressure depending on ambient temperature. Many dedicated RV ranges and grills with no built-in regulation must connect to the RV system though a quick connect. Any appliance with a regulator is designed to work from tank pressure. A single stage usually suffices. A replacement regulator and hose for a typical home BBQ grill can be installed on the non- regulator grill so that be used from a portable tank. On the other hand, to use a regulator type grill on the built in RV system, a separate regulator has to be installed tapped into the tank ahead of the RV regulator. A 10 or 15 PSI single stage should be sufficient to allow the grill regulator to function. Another point to keep in mind is that other appliances such as fire pits or cookers have higher BTU outputs and need to operate at higher pressures. Fixed or adjustable regulators can be installed to satisfy the increased gas flow. On my last RV I installed a 10 PSI regulator teed ahead of the system regulator. With a quick connection, I could use ordinary BBQ grills. On my new RV there is a convenient place to tap into the system pressure and use a modified Weber Grill. As it turns out the 2018 Navion has a three stage system. A 30 PSI regulator knocks down the pressure for delivery to the two stage regulator located at the remote filling connection. From there the gas is distributed throughout the RV. I might also take advantage of this and tap in for use for high pressure appliances like a fire pit. In modifying you gas system you must be careful not to have excessive pressure in long pipes or hoses. It is dangerous and you can have liquid propane condense in the line. You only want vapor. Bottom line is that you must know the operating pressure for the appliance and depending on the use you can build a delivery system. In my case, not having to tote around dozens of disposable cylinders and the convenience of a quick connection is worth the effort. My 2002 RoadTrek had a quick connection built in with a 15 PSI regulator. That spoiled me to be able to use a wider range of gas grills.
Steve

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
This is my Stay-A-While Deluxe. It is mounted between the valve and the regulator. It comes with a 5 foot hose for connecting to an external propane tank (side port) and a 12 foot hose for connecting to a gas grill (top port). In this configuration the gas grill needs its own regulator. I have a Coleman camp grill that use 1QT butane bottles. I connect the 12 foot hose to the grill where the bottle screws on and it works fine. (the stub on the grill that the bottle screws onto has its own regulator)

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am still not clear if the adapter kit screws into/onto the big tank's filler intake and whether that is before or after the tank's own regulator to the MH appliances.

My RVQ has no regulator at all, just a high-low setting valve---it depends on the RV's regulator. The 5er has a pipe out the side which has a quick connect fitting, so the "RVQ" ran off the 5er's 30lb tanks and their regulator.

I am unclear if you had one of these adapters to do a quick connect from the big tank filler, if that would by pass the MH regulator, so you would not have any regulator for the RVQ.

I am supposing the adapter part that allows adding a 20lb cylinder to the big tank's filler intake, would then use the big tank's regulator to supply the MH's appliances? It is all too confusing, since the 20 lber uses one of those green knob things with its own regulator.
Photo in Profile

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can only have one regulator on a propane line or the ressure drops way too much.
You'll need to remove the regulator on the BBQ to use the on-board regulated supply. That's easy to do and you can just get a brass adapter fitting and use quick disconnects.

Here's the one I used on mine. I tapped the inside of the QD coupler to fit a 1/8" NPT but Icould have just purchased a fitting to do the same thing.

Did the same for my fire pit. I have several 10' hoses to attach these items to my trailer.